Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Well I took it out for a spin to pick up my snow tires and it is still running a bit rough.
    I'm wondering if I have got the timing off by a tooth...? (Would I have those #'s for compression that I did? Should they be higher for a rebuilt engine?
    I think I'm going to run it with the original DIC in it while I wait for my plugs. I'll swap the DIC's as soon as it is warm enough. I don't want to wreck the one from the other car.
    (The nice weather person says 10cm of snow tonight and more to come over the next few days... That's the reason for getting the snows tonight. I actually put them on too. Just so I don't have to do it in the snow tomorrow.) The rims need a good clean and paint. (See picture... the car does too.) Depending on how they last through the winter I will sandblast and paint them if there near done next spring.
    I'd like to find a set of 17" rims for this car. It has 16 now. I like the wide 225 of the 17" on the AERO. They seems to grip the road a bit better with less tire spin.
    On a good note the DIC from this car that I swapped into the AERO works fine! Idols and accelerates good. So I'm guessing the DIC I got is toast.
    Is there a way to test them other than just by using it? Like with my multi meter?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    I hope your other dic is good. If you are not getting any codes and no vacuum issue, MAF or TB, you still have a lot of things it might be before you have to check your valves in the head, but I do have a bad feeling about that.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brennan View Post
    I hope your other dic is good. If you are not getting any codes and no vacuum issue, MAF or TB, you still have a lot of things it might be before you have to check your valves in the head, but I do have a bad feeling about that.
    Do you think the compression is low for a rebuild?
    Or I could be off by a tooth on a sprocket?

When I took the motor apart the crank was advanced. Something like 5-6mm ahead of the TDC mark. (It ran great before! with exception to the piston going south.) Picture is with crank mark with the cam marks on the money... But the crank is advanced...?
    That's what I'm not getting... How could it have ran so well before I rebuilt it and not now...? I didn't mess with the TB or MAF. All the vacuum hoses are new and on properly.
    I'm thinking I could have dislodged a wire in one of the harnesses or plugs. As some of us know there's lots of room back behind the intake manifold to get in with a ratchet... While standing on your head swearing like a sailor! (I'm yet to check the 3 directly behind the engine. I've seen posts somewhere about the plug on the fire wall becoming corroded inside. I'll check it too.)

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    PM Burnside. He know everything.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Here are the plugs. All 5
    Starting with the one on the firewall, then the middle of the 3 closer to the engine, then the closest to the engine, then the closest to the firewall of the 3.
    The last is the one form the TB. I cleaned them all and added dielectric grease to them all. They should all be good.
    The dirtiest was on the firewall. No signs of corrosion though. Just dirt.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I'm glad I did that this morning! We have 3" of snow now with more coming and it's -6 . It's blowing pretty good too with white outs on the roads.
    I swapped the DIC's back into the original cars they came from. So it's not the DIC.
    Well after cleaning the electrical plugs and coating them with dielectric grease the miss is still there. So it's not the electrical connections to the engine.
    It sometimes wants to stall. But catches it's self just in time. Other times it will idol nice for 5 seconds then odd miss for a bit.
    Any ideas?
    The snow tires work great!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    What spark plugs do you have in there?

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    The plugs I have in are what came in it, except there new. NGK BPR6EGP. There in the other car too... Well until the correct ones come in the mail.
    I'm glad I don't have to crawl under the car today. That's 14" of snow on the car. The snow is everywhere else too! More coming... (Lake effect.)
    I cleared off the windows of the car and backed it out of my drive onto the street. (So I could finish cleaning it off... I don't want to shovel any more than I need to.)
    Thing is: I didn't clear the snow out of the driveway before I backed it out!
    These cars are amazing! After I cleaned it off I decided to go for a drive down the un-plowed roads. ( I carry a couple shovels in each car all winter.)
    I was actually getting fuel for the snowblower. (We were out of gas because we switched to a reel type lawnmower this spring.)
    The car preformed flawlessly in the deep snow! I had snow coming over the hood and we just kept trucking along! I've never had a vehicle that worked so well in snow! That ESP thing is great.
    Here are some pictures of the cars in the lane way. And the old lawn mower... (3 years old and about to throw a rod!)
    Last edited by Finding41; 24 November 2013 at 18:46. Reason: Plugs:

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Well work has been hell so for this week... See snow above ... Think about walking around in it for 8 hrs. Lots of overtime. I put in 11.25 hrs today. On the walk I've done for 7 years....
    The engine light went out today on the way to work... I don't know why. I've never had one go out before unless I cleared the code.
    It still misses... But it go's like stink when I put my foot in it! I can't detect any miss at WOT.

I got my snowblower going on Sunday and cleared the lane. I need to do a tune-up on it ASAP. I pushed the primer button and heard ...pffft. It's got to have a broken primer line. I did get it going but it wouldn't run without the choke on full!
    In the past I have always used the cheapest fuel for my small engines. But since I have a boat with an outboard motor I've learnt about the evils of ethanol.
    Crazy stuff... It attracts water! (On some molecular level. Not good for a tank of fuel that sits in a boat floating on a lake!) I can leave my tank inside the boat ware it is dry and come back a week later and see water on the bottom of the tank! Just a week! Same thing happens inside the bowl of the carb. So the snow blower is in the same boat so to speak. When I drained the carb and got water and gunk and fuel I remembered the boat fuel had the same problem. {Not any more... I now use the only fuel I can find in the city without ethanol. Shell Premium 91} That's what I got when I went out in the snow with the car on Sunday.
    So If it get's a bit warmer I'll rebuild the carb and replace the fuel lines. I've already changed the oil. It's now using the same synthetic as the SAAB's.

Squeaky lost her first tooth last night while brushing her teeth! The tooth fairy was good to her!

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I checked the codes when I was stuck in traffic tonight on the way home form work.
    No codes!
    What!??? It still is running a rough at idol. Not a huge problem but enough to know something ain't right.
    (Shouldn't the computer keep the code recorded? When the light came on last time I checked and it was the P0300 like before. I didn't clear the code... The light went out by it's self yesterday....? Hmm...)
    Any ideas?