Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    That didn't last long. It's back. P0300
    I took it out tonight to run some errands and it came on when I was pulling away from the house.

But that's the least of the drama tonight.
    With all the recent snow there has been a rash (78 on Monday) of car accidents in the city. Today we got about 3" more snow and people got stupider.
    We have not been immune to the carnage. Someone hit my other car! The AERO!
    My wife had parked it on the street as she needed to go out once I got home to retrieve Squeaky and a few friends from a birthday party. And it had 3 car seats in it.
    So I got home and took my boots and coat off walked about 10' and a lady came to the door. She asked if that was my car on the road....(F! You know it's not going to be good...) Then she said she just backed into it... (She wasn't looking behind her!!!) Ahh!
    As I wept on the floor she offered to pay to fix it. So I have to get a couple quotes and get back to her. She is a friend of the neighbour and was just dropping off there daughter.
    She hit the drivers rear 1/4 above the bumper cover. There is a crease in the metal and fine scratches on the bumper cover.
    It's not bad. But it's a dent I didn't want! Here is the thing: I was planning on a body job in the spring to fix the dog legs before they get out of control and the other dents form PO's. After spending $ working on the ARC Out budget is gone until spring for un-needed paint jobs and the such.

Should I get quotes and just get the $ we agree on now and wait until spring or shop around and find a shop that will fix that dent and the other stuff and paint the whole car? Or just have the spot fixed...?
    I am capable of the work myself... But it's winter and I don't want to do a body job and paint at this time of year unless I can keep the car inside first for a week before and after to dry out and then cure properly. I was planning on doing the ARC first by doing the prep and repair in the driveway here or at the shop. (Wood shop that I can't get the car into.) I would prime and paint at a buddies place in his garage. I can't use his garage in the winter because he has his Cobalt torn apart in it. (He track races it. I think it's allergic to snow too.)
    By the way London Ont is know for it's bad drivers. My insurance went up $500/ year when I moved form Stratford Ont to here. I called the insurance company and asked what was up... I was told London is the 2nd highest risk city in the country for accidents! (Toronto is #1. Go Rob Ford!) #6 for cars stolen. (#1 at getting them back.) As for going through insurance... I can paint both cars for less then my collision deductible...
    Here are the pictures. Brace your self...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    The plugs are in! I'll try and get them in on Wed. Work has been kind of busy!
    The CEL goes on and off when ever it wants. I'm not sure why it goes off at all as I haven't cleared a code...
    I installed LED lights in the interior cabin over head lights. Just the two main that come on when you open the doors for now. I want to do the rest but I want to find out exactly what size bulbs I need for that.
    I found out the hard way how long it takes to drain the battery when I got my first SAAB home and decided to detail the interior... The battery doesn't last more than 45 min with the doors open and interior lights on...
    Here are the plugs. All the way form Japan.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Today was nice out so I replaced the plugs.
    I noticed that the timing was off! Odd because I'm sure it was bang on when I put it together last. Here are the photos.
    I fixed the timing...
    I'm not happy with how the plugs look. It looks like it is running lean!.....
    The picture of the TDC crank mark shows ware the crank was when the cams were set! Off by a tooth?

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I think it's good to go!
    I just went for a 11:45 pm test drive. (I planned on going earlier but lost track of time. Got a bit carried away with on-line sail boat research...)
    My wife requested that I only go as far as I can get towed home for $50 this time... I went a bit further... It worked great! It did start idling at 1200 when I started it but went down after I went a couple blocks. I took it out on the highway and it has good acceleration up to 180 km/. I cleared the SID when I left and when I got back I was getting an average of 8.7l/100km. (27.4 US m/g)
    I'm happy with that! (I kind of drive it like a race car in town.... Sometimes...)
    I'll drive it for the rest of the week then she can have it back. (And I'll have to drive the old AERO...)
    If I get home at a decent time tomorrow I'll change the plugs in it too.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    P0300!
    This is like a bad joke!
    It seemed to run ok last night. Well today when I went to work the CEL was on and it was running rough... A different kind of rough...
    I think I'm off a tooth again!
    When I took it apart yesterday the crank was advanced when the cams were lined up. (About a tooth... So I set it again.)
    This time I thought.... (bad) I'd set it with the crank in the TDC spot and the cams with them almost at the mark. Just a tiny bit behind the mark.
    This because I can't get them to go right on the mark if I go to the next tooth.... It goes a tiny bit ahead of the mark on the exhaust and sits on the mark for the intake.
    So I foresee taking it apart again and moving the chain one tooth ahead.
    If I get home early enough tomorrow I'll do it then. If not it will have to wait until Sunday.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I was off by a tooth on the exhaust cam. I reset it and it's a whole new car!
    Now it idols properly! It pushes you back into the seat during take off. If I can stop the wheels from spinning.
    I took it for a test drive and it preformed flawlessly! I even replaced the inner fender skirts... So it had better keep running right.
    I had a bit of an oil leak from the normal area... Timing chain tensioner area. I noticed when I removed the tensioner this time that the O ring I put on the 12mm bolt had split. So hopefully that's the leak. I used some of the liquid gasket stuff that I used on the sump as a gasket this time. I also sprayed the engine down with engine cleaner then drove to the car wash and blasted it with the power washer. (Don't try that at home as it could leave you stranded or hurt delicate electronics...)
    I washed the whole car while I was at it too. Here are some pictures of the timing chain adjuster bolt and spring with the plastic piece as well. The white stuff on the spring and bolt is Coconut oil. I couldn't find the Vaseline to get the spring and everything to stick together so Coconut was as good as I was getting. I noticed that the adjuster had a small hole in it so I went easy
    Cam marks in the first picture are before I moved it. Last cam pic is after I moved it.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5
    "First I removed the things that squirt oil up at the bottom of the pistons."

How did you get the #4 cylinder (flywheel end) oil squirter out? The crank sensor wheel is in the way in my 2008 B235R engine.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Its been a while. I think i used a swivel extension or a extension with a cutaway swivwl end.
    I do remember that i has to use my grinder to thin the metal where the pan bolts on. I took 1.5mm off.
    Dont go too deep. Just enough to get the bearing holder out.

Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Wagon 2.3T I4 (B235E)
    did redoing your timing fix the misfire code?

I had an overheat after the serp belt went and now I am getting a cylinder 4 misfire. Cant get it to go away and it wont pass smog with the code. Kind of scrambling to figure things out. I don't have a garage to work in, either...
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I'd try un-hooking hte battery for about 10 min. That should reset things. (Kind of.)
    There may be an ignition problem (SID? ) The coil packs go on those and you have to replace the whole thing.
    I found a pretty good deal on them at eEuroparts.com (Try this coupon code UPTO15OFF ) It may work..?
    Good luck.
    Oh Yes my code went away after I set the timing properly. I was one tooth too far advanced.
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com