Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Been there done that. Great little boat on a totally shitty trailer. You should see those things after moving them in and out of salt water. I have had 3 with one going into salt. More time washing off the trailer than sailing. 5 or 6 hours a year fending off rust with wire brush, scrapers, prime and paint. Good grief they are junk. I had an M on the single axel trailer always scared to tow it anywhere fearing the whole thing would just collapse.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    For my next trick there will be a plague of locusts!
    What a day. I got it together and running! Yea!
    Took it out for a test drive, got a coffee at a drive through and then off down the road past the yacht club. (It's a 10 min drive.) I thought I'd go past to the next concession and make a loop back to home.
    It died!!!!!!!! going along at 80km/h. RPM less than 2000... A soft clunk........ Dead!
    FFFFFFFFFFFFF
    I tried to turn it over once I pulled over and it sounded like it didn't have compression!
    Guess why...... (My guess was valves....)
    I won! The prize was a $60 tow back home and bent valves!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    How does this happen..... I drove it for 10-12km! No problems accelerating or idling or running at what ever RPM. I was taking it easy to break it in...
    AHHH! I just took the valve cover off and did a compression test. 1=0, 2=0, 3=30, 4=30.
    The intake cam is advanced.... The exhaust and the crank are on the $.
    What would make my intake timing change... I torked everything.

Ideas...................
    I`ll add a you tube link later of the cold start with it running and then the no start...
    Anyone have some used intake valves they could part with.
    Cold start video: http://youtu.be/WE2NeF5TbIg
    The No start is here: http://youtu.be/UnoeEcQwIdI
    Last edited by Finding41; 17 October 2013 at 03:56. Reason: add videos

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    Sounds like you were putting in some work for sure. Sorry to here about the valves though. Stuff happens it seems.

Oh and next time try and deep fry your turkey. It is great that away.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I didn't get at the car today. I had to remove my sail boat and dock before Saturday so today was the day my dock mate and I got together.
    It started off nice. Then it rained for the remaining 3 hours.
    The dock was still sideways form last weeks water event... It rose 7.5'! 1.5' higher than it can go and come back down properly without doing damage the the dock or poles. Looks like we need some new poles.... It took us an hour to get all the poles out. They were all bent and didn't want to go easily through the guide holes.
    I used the 03 Aero wagon to remove the dock and the boat.
    I have to say I am quite impressed at how well the car did on the wet and leaf covered ramp! Here is a video of the car pulling the trailer and liking it. Video here: boat removal - YouTube And a few pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    It looks like a part failure... I'm not 100% sure though. I found the intake cam advanced at least 90* and the crank and exhaust set properly.
    The tab or key in the intake timing sprocket gave way. It sheered of clean. The exhaust sprocket bolt seemed a bit loose. (I don't know how as it was tightened before the intake so the intake could be set..?) I'm sure both bolts were tight.
    I've sent an email off the the parts store I purchased them from.
    (I wonder what there warranty covers in this case.)
    Here are the pictures.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck.
    I just broke the window regulator bushings in the other SAAB! F...

On a good note: My wife and I dropped the mast and tied things up for travel without breaking anything. (This was her first time dropping the mast. I usually grab a club member to help for the 2 min it takes but no one was around.) (This is one of the huge pluses of our small yacht club... No one uses it! Last year the care taker told me I was there more than him! I love getting out on the lake and there's no other boats! There are the Canadian Olympic rowing teams that practice on the lake but they stay at the one end of the lake in lanes.)
    I did get the boat put into storage for the winter. It's not quite ready for winter but at least it's in the storage yard. I'll pop out some day next week and winterize it.
    I put RV antifreeze in the sink drain, the cockpit and motor well drains. I roll up 1/4" wire screen like a 8" tube and put one end in the drain holes so leaves don't clog the holes and if we get a bunch of snow and a fast melt the screen will insure the drain is open. I'm going to put a tarp on the boats as well just to keep some of the snow out of the cockpit. I've never done that before as the one boat was stored in my neighbours back yard n the past. I would just shovel it off if I thought there too much snow. But the neighbours back yard isn't available due to new owners (A property management company) and a big trampoline.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Well the head is off. 3rd time is a charm. (Unless you did something stupid and bent your valves...)
    I found marks on all the pistons ware the intake valves had hit them. Other than small marks the pistons seem fine. The head looks fine as well.
    The intake valves are done. It looks like only 1,2,3 cylinder's valves got bent... But I found marks on #4 too so I'm changing them even though they look and feel good.

Yesterday I watched a couple videos on how to fix loud hydrolic lifters. It looks pretty simple. So I have my lifters soaking in carb cleaner right now. I'll try and get them apart tomorrow. One came apart easily. See picture.
    Inside the lifter is a cylinder within a cylinder. Inside the smallest cylinder is a spring and ball bearing. On the big cylinder that slides into the lifter there is a retainer clip. The lifters should come apart easier after a good soaking.
    I did a few videos and took some pictures.
    I'll post the videos when there up.
    Link for lifters: http://youtu.be/0VfPUpjgQyA
    and for bent valves: http://youtu.be/68eH0Iue2RI
    Last edited by Finding41; 21 October 2013 at 01:56.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Faulty sprocket! Any luck getting the parts supplier to cover anything?
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    EDIT: Check this video of the sprockets.
    Nope. I don't think the sprocket was faulty. I think I didn't tighten it properly! I know I uses my 3/8 drive ratchet and the 14mm with a 3" extension. But how much I tightened it is a mystery. (Remember I had those sprockets on and off about a dozen times... I torqued them the first few times and figured I could eyeball it at the points after that. it's supposed to be 47lb... Easy, with the 3/4" rench on the other end of the cam and the ratchet on the other. but did I do that...? I can't remember. I could have been so caught up in the idea that I just twisted the end off a 6" 3/8 extention... (On the 90* stage of the head bolt tightening that I used the same 3/8 ratchet and a 16" steel tube for.)
    The reason the intake sprocket bolt was tight is it probably spun and tightened its self when the key broke.
    The exhaust sprocket bolt was loose. (It just didn't get the chance to loosen enough.)
    The exhaust valves are in fine shape because of that.
    I still can't understand how I missed torquing the sprocket bolts.... The torque wrench was sitting right there.... I used it on the head bolts earlier.
    Oh well, There must have been a lesson learned. I guess. I can't think of one tough.
    The parts supplier emailed me today and said that it was my fault. They said the have seen a number of people tighten the sprockets without getting the key in the groove. (This wasn't my case.)
    I'm going to use one of the old sprockets when the valves come in. They looked like new anyway.
    Last edited by Finding41; 21 October 2013 at 04:08. Reason: add video link.. check it out.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Yeah I've never had to use new sprockets. The old ones are likely just fine. I like the phrase "tighten to yield." aka - tight, but not so tight you snap the bolt off

I have a spare head I could pull the valves from if you wanted them.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com