Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 2.3 wagon

Timing chain tensioner leaking

Name:  IMG_20131012_142831.jpg
Views: 2252
Size:  37.3 KB
    I ordered the seals for the timing chain tensioner as I think its leaking from there. Curious if it is located in the hole above the tensioner for the serp belt. Is this something I can do without lifting up the engine? Any tips or photos greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    You can put a 24mm (or 26mm) thin walled socket in the hole and remove it.
    The seal is a kind of washer with rubber lining the inside. There is a 12mm bolt that is holding a spring and plastic piece back that screws into the larger adjuster. DON"T remove it until you get the whole adjuster out! You don't want that spring or plastic piece to fall down behind the alternator.
    When putting mine back together I screwed the big adjuster in without the bolt, spring or plastic piece. For them I used a long extension with a 12mm on it with Vaseline holding the bolt, spring and plastic piece. (Have a magnet on a stick handy....Don't really think of attempting it without the Vaseline and magnet.)
    Here is what the tensioner looks like. The pencil is pointing to the spot you push to get the plunger back in.
    Note: You can't install it with the spring etc in it. That's why the Vaseline.

There is another way too but it involves allot of removing of things like the alternator cables, PVC tank, a bunch of bolts holding the belt tensioner etc. But then you can just push the belt tensioner back and get at the chain tensioner.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 2.3 wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Finding41 View Post
    You can put a 24mm (or 26mm) thin walled socket in the hole and remove it.
    The seal is a kind of washer with rubber lining the inside. There is a 12mm bolt that is holding a spring and plastic piece back that screws into the larger adjuster. DON"T remove it until you get the whole adjuster out! You don't want that spring or plastic piece to fall down behind the alternator.
    When putting mine back together I screwed the big adjuster in without the bolt, spring or plastic piece. For them I used a long extension with a 12mm on it with Vaseline holding the bolt, spring and plastic piece. (Have a magnet on a stick handy....Don't really think of attempting it without the Vaseline and magnet.)
    Here is what the tensioner looks like. The pencil is pointing to the spot you push to get the plunger back in.
    Note: You can't install it with the spring etc in it. That's why the Vaseline.

There is another way too but it involves allot of removing of things like the alternator cables, PVC tank, a bunch of bolts holding the belt tensioner etc. But then you can just push the belt tensioner back and get at the chain tensioner.
    Thanks so much for the help. Now just have to wait for the parts.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Here is a couple photos of the area with the belt tensioner moved back. (This may be the only option to get at this as I couldn't get a socket in to fit on the big nut... It's only about an hours work though. PM me and I'll list the procedure for you.) Also a photo of the socket that fits the large part of the tensioner. (It's imperial because I don't have a metric one big enough to fit. May have been my imperial socket was too fat to fit in the hole.)
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    Can you also send me a the procedure for this? I think one my 06's might be leaking here since I have already done the front main seal and oil pump o-ring.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Here are the instructions from the WIS for replacing the timing chain tensioner: http://saabworld.net/attachments/f29...r-saab-9-5.pdf

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    Thanks again Frank!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 2.3 wagon
    Well found out my leak wasn't from the tensioner. It was from the oil pump o-ring. I am now leak free!

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Ware is the oil pump O ring? The one on the timing cover? Or one of the 3-4 on the oil pump?
    Pictures?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 2.3 wagon
    Harmonic Balancer Replacement - Step 1

Here's the link to the tutorial I used. Only took me about 30 mins to do. Hardest thing was getting the circlip off.