Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Greg McKenzie
    Saab Fan
    Victoria Point, Queensland, 4165, Australia
    Saab(s)
    1986 Saab 900i, 3 door

900i starting - CIS experts!! Help!!

[FONT=verdana]Have recently cleaned out the mixture control unit and reset the roller at 18mm.
    fitted it all together and tried starting the car. It sounded as though it would start, but only reved to 1500rpm and died. I tried richening and leaning it but result the same. To say I am puzzeled is an understatement so I am back here hoping someone has the answer![/FONT]

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    I changed the title of this thread, in hopes that one of our K-Jetronic experts would be able to help.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Edward G
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    T5.5 84 900T8
    heloooooo it's just me again

let me know how you get on with my advice

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    Hm, just you? I thought there were two of you. You must have enough advice that I think there are two of you. In any case, you are more proficient than me.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Chris
    Saab(s)
    1973 99 EMS..1996 9k AERO..1984 c900T
    not really an expert just dealing with k-jet stuff right now...dealing with the warm up regulator, did not think it plays as big of a part as it does... after it died how was the re-start?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero, 2002 9-5 wagon, 2007 9-3 Aero, '93 9000 CSE, 7 vintage Saabs
    I'm chiming in late.... the basic basic basic setting to get it started if you have made gross adjustments is to... take off one fuel line to an injector from the fuel distributor end, energize the fuel pump relay and set, via the mixture screw, until fuel just starts to dribble out. At that point dial back the mixture screw a half to a full turn. If all other components, including warm up regulator, cold start injector via the thermo time switch, and auxiliary air valve, the engine should start.

Keep in mind that the warm up regulator plays a huge part in mixture control during the warm up phase. The only way to check it is to have the proper fuel pressure gauge installed and watch the cold control pressure...it should be somewhere around 1.0 and 1.5 bar on a stone cold engine.

Mark

Chris
    Saab(s)
    not thread jacking.just dealing with the same fun....mine will start right up cold and run pretty well for about 60-90 seconds then the idle starts to drop into the normal range (800ish) and then it seems the car loads up/runs very rich and will die out and be a total bear to restart.....seems a simple enough check that you described what about that regulator thing on the inside of the driver fender when does that play a part in the whole fuel delivery fun? a way to test? could a total rich/fat condition (at closed loop?) be that regulator or do I dial something else in...thanks for any help...my last c900 was a '90 so it was a little different (and that was close to 15 years ago)

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    I would disconnect the O2 sensor to force it to stay open loop. Then you can check basic mixture setting. The frequency valve plays a huge part in governing mixture. You should be able to hear it buzz audibly and feel it vibrate if you put your hand on it. If it doesn't buzz at all that's where you must start with diagnosing. That's the reason for disconnecting the O2 sensor. You don't want the O2 sensor to influence mixture control if the basic fuel setting is a mile out.

Chris
    Saab(s)
    cool i'll go out and give it a try....i'm looking for 50% at that connector by the fuse box? i tried a reading there but really not sure if i'm seeing the dwell correctly (didn't move and stayed at about 30% not sure if i was doing it right or this old ass volt/dwell meter is any good any more)

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    If everything is functioning normally in closed loop you will see an average dwell or duty cycle of 50%. It will swing above and below but set the mixture screw so needle swings as much below as above 50%. Also, it should swing fairly rapidly.