Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Started sorting the spares I got with the car.

Even have a spare AM Saab/Bendix radio
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Your floor and rocker rot is about on par with mine... maybe a tad better. But I don't have the rot in the fenders or elsewhere (that I've seen so far). I find myself asking if I'm crazy too... maybe why it's on the back burner for now.

Good find on the radio. I've actually got two different radios from old Saabs, and I'm not sure which one would have been the stock one for a '73. I'll have to see if I can dig them out and get some photos to eventually find out what came on it, if either of them did on that year.

Do you have a tachometer in there? That's usually what everyone wants.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Your floor and rocker rot is about on par with mine...
    There is a lot of rust repair and I think I have a good idea fro a rotisserie and a under carriage bracket to hold the chassis square while working on the floor and Rockers

Good find on the radio.
    Gonna power it up and have a listen. I also have several OEM Blaupunkt speakers in the spares box.

Do you have a tachometer in there?
    No Tach, both cars were regular not sport or Monte Carlo Models. I have a tach in the wood dash from my old Sonett V4, thinking of making a piece of wall art from it.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Quote Originally Posted by jskrebs View Post
    Gonna power it up and have a listen. I also have several OEM Blaupunkt speakers in the spares box.
    When it comes to the radio, I want the original look of it, but I don't want the original sound of OEM speakers. I'm no audiophile, but the technology has come so far, I see no reason to seek out original speakers other than the power output of the OEM radio. I researched it a couple years ago, but I remember finding several places that will take an old radio, basically strip it of it's internals and throw in all new stuff. Thus giving much better output and sound so you can run new speakers. It wasn't cheap, so I stopped researching so I could concentrate on the more important things.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    I will just hide some new speakers an Amp and a blue tooth receiver and use my Iphone keeping the OEM system in tact.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Stripped some more:

Got the doors and fenders off.
    Also go the exhaust disconnected ready to slide out.

As I get it further apart I see the rockers still have quite a bit of strength in them so I am thinking that doing the floors first may be the way to go.

Home to get the motor out, front end up on jack stands and the front suspension off this weekend.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Got the motor out today.

Looks like I need a new rear motor mount!

Anyone know how to remove the headliner without messing it up. Mine is in really good shape needing only a restitch in a few places.

Saab(s)
    '11 9-4X, '07 9-5 Combi, '99 Viggen, '88 900t, '87 ASFT, '85 SPG, '72 96
    Quote Originally Posted by jskrebs View Post
    Found a guy with about 6 old 96 stroker's and he may have some body panels he will be willing to part with.

Also wondering if anyone has found a source for the fender bolt tinnerman nut SAAB used to hold the fenders on. (photos below)

Obviously Lowes and Fastenal were a wash.
    A little web search indicated that they are Acme thread and look like 1/4" or 6mm in diameter with a 1.9mm pitch spacing.
    I have been emailing a company. Dependable Acme I think they are called. I am forwarding them this link and will send in a screw and speed nut I pulled out of a car in New Ringgold.

"Ben,

Thank you for your inquiry. If you want to send them in, we can check out for you. Also, if you can measure the outside of the screws, along with the thread per inch, might be able to see if we are tooled for the size. "

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Thanks Ben,

Also found some modern alternatives if necessary. One very similar to stock but torx drive and some on Ebay listed as fender washers that are anodized aluminum pieces with hex head countersunk bolts that go through them. Both would work, neither would look OEM. Most of ones I removed are salvageable if blasted and re coated.

Working on pulling the suspension. Anybody know if the lower spring perch is welded to the upper a arm like a C900 or 99?
    I can't get the upper ball joint bolts out to save my life.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I'd be in for getting some fender screws and washers.

And have fun with the ball joints. I soaked my in PB Blaster and Aerokroil (supposed to be PB Blaster on steroids) for over a week and broke out the torch a couple times. I also had to drill out the bolts because the heads snapped off. Good luck!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers