Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    I was thinking of ordering the Ashrafts restoration manual. Its pricey but I bet the art work is awesome. Any links to theirs or other rebuilds?

I used to put T tops in Camaro's and the like and had to install bracing in the door openings prior to cutting the roof away. If I build a rotisserie I'll be sure to reinforce the shell accordingly. I have a wood floor garage and can lag bolt to it so I would build it temporary set of pivots out of Timber just for this project.

Wife's Disco has 155K on it, she will keep it to 250K

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Unfortunately I have no pictures. Just the stories of an old Saab fanatic who I used to get parts from. He had a wasteland of old Saabs with at least two dozen non-frozen stroker engines. Unfortunately he passed and I was never able to find out what happened to all of his stuff. But, he used to do all kinds of things with rusted out ones, and when he saw mine told me to be careful with how much cutting I do, especially if I plan on sitting on what floor is left in the car. He showed me a trailer he had made out of the first and last one that collapsed on him while he was cutting away. It was a nifty looking thing. Any how, be careful.

I've got a couple Ashcraft manuals. I've got the floor and sheetmetal diagrams/drawings, V4 engine rebuild, and one or two more. They are all great. I have yet to actually put the drawings to use, or really much with the V4 rebuild. He sent some directions along with a FoMoCo carb rebuild kit I purchases that came in handy when I misplaced a part and couldn't figure out what it was. His stuff is pricey, but I've found well worth it since I'm not very experienced in these areas.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Both my engines are a little stiff, going to soak the top ends a bit see if they free up some.

I was out with the car over lunch soaking bolts and such thinking this is a lot less complicated that my C900T. Only like 12 wires in the whole car.

May pull the hood and grill tonight.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Spent an hour in the garage this evening. Hood comes off in 5 minutes, grill 20 more, radiator, motor wiring and some brackets round out the hour. Multiple busted bolts, Bolts in very hard to reach places typical of an airframe design, born from jets all right.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Fix it or part it out.

Need motivation, and Sheet metal donor parts......

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    What sheet metal parts do you need?

If you are going to part it out, let me know, I might be interested in the whole thing.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    All the typical floor and rocker parts plus the bottom of the PS A pillar where it meets the bulkhead, front PS fender, perhaps both rear fenders, a rear deck (wood), that's after a casual look. Front Seat foam is all dry and falling apart.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Spare motor turns, motor in car is stiff. Soaking with oil currently. Found 5 gasket sets for the 850 motor so we may pull the stiff motor apart.

Mark Aschraft will not be printing sheet metal plans till February or March but I doubt I'll need them till then.

If you are going to part it out, let me know, I might be interested in the whole thing.
    thinking that is not motivation, rather opportunism

Had to sneak an outdoor lamp restoration ahead of the saab Goes over the garage door, pretty cool actually, as its an old industrial model with a fluted porcelain shade. Need to upgrade to a modern LED outdoor light and repaint.

Everyone that stops by and sees this in the garage really falls in love with it.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Found a guy with about 6 old 96 stroker's and he may have some body panels he will be willing to part with.

Also wondering if anyone has found a source for the fender bolt tinnerman nut SAAB used to hold the fenders on. (photos below)

Obviously Lowes and Fastenal were a wash.
    A little web search indicated that they are Acme thread and look like 1/4" or 6mm in diameter with a 1.9mm pitch spacing.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Quick series of shots depicting initial rust repair assessment.

Next step is to remove the bumpers fenders and motor and clean up a bit, take another assessment

Am I crazy?