Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Carfax question

Hello. This is my first post as I'm about to buy a saab! I'm looking at 2 different 2007 9-3 SportCombi 2.0T wagons. Almost identical but I'm looking over the car fax reports on both. One has 3 owners which is high and the last one only had it for 2 months! But, the report shows no real issues in service. The other is a one owner but shows 3 services for "Engine/Powertrain computer/module checked". That concerns me! Anyone know what that might have been? It was in 2008 3 times but has not been reported for anything but scheduled maintenance since.

Help me decide! I want my saab!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Any Saab dealer in the US can check warranty repairs for any Saab in their system. Are these Saabs offered by Saab dealers? As long as it was a long time ago for "Engine/Powertrain computer/module checked" and shortly after each other, apparently the problem was fixed. And sometimes they use these generic descriptions for different smaller issues.

Sometimes, a dealer takes ownership of a car in their inventory si that may explain a 2-month owner listing.

I wouldn't be too worried as long as there is no record of any accidents.

Welcome! Now go get your Saab.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Any Saab dealer in the US can check warranty repairs for any Saab in their system. Are these Saabs offered by Saab dealers? As long as it was a long time ago for "Engine/Powertrain computer/module checked" and shortly after each other, apparently the problem was fixed. And sometimes they use these generic descriptions for different smaller issues.

Sometimes, a dealer takes ownership of a car in their inventory si that may explain a 2-month owner listing.

I wouldn't be too worried as long as there is no record of any accidents.

Welcome! Now go get your Saab.
    Thanks for the reply!

Neither car is at a Saab dealer actually. One is at a BMW dealer and one is at a used car center. The other thing on the report around the same time is "Body Electrical system checked". Doesn't say repaired or anything. Just checked. So maybe it was just something odd. Just makes me a little leery. That one is also listed as having been commercially owned which could just mean that the guy put his car through his business or something.

One way or the other I'll get a saab this weekend!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    They still may be covered under the manufacturer 4yr/50k miles warranty. Model year 2007 and 2008 also have the 6yr/100K miles powertrain warranty so that should give a bit of extra security.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Did all 07's come with a 100,000 mile powertrain? The factory warranty listed by both dealers is 5/50 and both are right around 60k on the dial. That would make me much more secure!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Yes, all 07 and 08 Saabs have the extended powertrain warranty. I mentioned 6/100 earlier but it is 5yr/100K miles.

In early 2007, GM rolled out their 5 year, 100,000 mile extended powertrain warranty across all model lines sold in the US, including Saab. This extended powertrain warranty picked up where the 4/50 bumper-to-bumper warranty left off, and provided roadside assistance and courtesy transportation for the entire 5/100 term of the warranty. This warranty exceeded that offered by Saab’s competition.
    GM Confirms Saab Warranty Coverage Reduction | Autosavant

The carfax should show when the car was sold and warranty started.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Yes, all 07 and 08 Saabs have the extended powertrain warranty. I mentioned 6/100 earlier but it is 5yr/100K miles.

GM Confirms Saab Warranty Coverage Reduction | Autosavant

The carfax should show when the car was sold and warranty started.
    Excellent news. Both would still have warranty until spring of 2012 then. Thanks for the tip!