Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-5 2011

Starting problem

Hi

There is one overall known bug in new 9-5 -model concerning the starting.
    The info display "service the steering wheel lock" is most common display, when trying to start.

Tried to find a solution from saab -owners, there has been several solutions, but is there any final method to fix this?

The car is 2011 model diesel and has made this starting problem now 5 times during a year.
    When not starting, it keeps the parking lights on during the failure.

First time this problem went away in few minutes but it seems to take more time each time. Now 2 days ago 1,5 hours.

All I have found about solutions to this problems are:

- Upgrading the system with the latest version (done january 2013 but repaired only minor transmission adjustments failures).
    - Changing the battery (original 2011, not replaced yet)
    - Changing the CPU (CPU = computer processor unit? not replaced)
    - Changing the steering wheel lock (not done).

Is there any operations after these, which could help?
    Or is this failure "unrepairable"?

Do the "same" Opel -version have this kind of problem or is it only in Saab?

I have now tried once to disconnect the - cable but after 1 minute disconnected and again connected, it did not help.
    After that I tried to activate/deactivate all electric components and light possible, to find if there could be suddenly a "knot-opener".
    I had only one message as a result "open and close the drivers window".

I dont know why, but the car started 10 minutes after the cable had reconnected.
    First it turns the parking lights off and then it is ready yo start.

More advice?

BR
    Arkadi

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-5 2011
    Found a solution to this problem:
    Last year car failed to start 3-4 times.
    After thinking the easy possibilities, I changed the way to press the strt/stop -button.

Now I press it 2 seconds every time and the starting problem has been away now 1 year.
    I think this was the reason - to "hit" the start button only few tenths of a second was stirring the system, which reacted by failing with the "slow" steering lock mechanism.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-5 2011
    Hi The failure is back.
    Any news about this?
    BR
    Arkadi

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 2.0T Aero
    Arkadi, had this briefly and changed the battery as per previous suggestions which resolved. You can check the health of the original battery via a viewing window, anything other than green you should consider replacing and definitely if it is black irrespective of your starting problem. Good luck

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-5 2011
    Thanks for advise. Couple of days ago I found a solution (not tested yet).
    Saab workshop found a bulletin where first must update the data in several processors, and after that, if not helped, change the steering wheel lock. This has helped to other 9-5 and I hope it helps to me also.
    The steering wheel lock spare part has changed by spare part number, so there has been some problems. I think this is the final solution.