Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Katherine
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 Saab 9-5

White smoke pouring out of the exhaust

I ordered the crankcase ventilation kit today, as well as the check valve. Does anyone have any tips for when I go to do this? I know very little about cars and have little experience with working on cars. But I did manage to pull off dropping the sump. I am worried that because I do not have as detailed of a step by step procedure available, it will be harder to complete than the sump was. Please anyone give me any ideas of especially what to watch out for. I have a 2000 Saab 9-5 2.3L with a LOT of white smoke POURING out of the exhaust.

All began when I put a motor flush treatment in my oil. Car shut off immediately. Would not start again. Realized that the reason was because oil got into all 4 cylinder holes in the combustion chamber. Took the plugs out and then it started again. When it started I gased it and oil came shooting out of all 4 spark plug holes and went all over the engine. It was a nightmare. Dried the plugs, put them back in. The car would chug when driven, like it would go but repeatedly struggle to the point of not even being able to be driven. Probably from still being wet. Now she drives fine, the engine sounds good. Except the white smoke out of the exhaust pipe.

It is also coming from a possible split in the mid-point of the exhaust system, at the point where it goes from pipe to a possible cat? Not sure but it looks like one, except it's not the one up near the front of the car. The entire exhaust system ever since this awful day has a pooling within of thick black sut that is not unlike burnt coffee left in the pot where it becomes so black and smelly that it makes You cringe. It's just like that, and it's leaking from the tail pipe. Never did this before that treatment. It's not coolant. My engine has no coolant issues. Never has.

Anyway, did the sump, still having white smoke pouring. No oil leaks whatsoever. The pcv valve nipple that sticks into the top of the engine that attaches the breather hose, has been missing for a year. It melted off and then was left disconnected for a while so oil just went all over the place while driving. Just had the breather hose sticking in the hole on the top of the engine. The day of the treatment disaster, I had just fixed it with a larger hose so the oil would at least stop going all over the place because it was getting expensive to refill.

Also, there were on two occasions, where the dipstick read low oil and the oil light came on, even after I put oil in it. The engine has been overfull with oil on these two occasions because when I added more oil, it was like the oil was going somewhere else in the engine and not reading on the dipstick. Sometimes the dipstick would be dry, even when I put oil in it. The white smoke was not present at this point in time. Also, later on the dipstick would read that it was overfull. Never figured that one out. But I have had to drain my oil twice because it became way overfull. Anyone have any diagnostic ideas for the situation? Maybe what I can look for or replace/fix next, after the ventilation kit.

**side note** Before any real issues came, there was an issue with a struggle during accelaration which had something to do with my turbo not kicking in until later into each gear. When it did it would be like a tension release from a spring. When there were no issues with the acceleration, my turbo would whistle like a sweet baby working perfect. And it seemed to come and go throughout the drive. It Felt like the turbo wasn't getting enough of something or it was somehow being blocked. Any clue?

Originally posted in: http://saabworld.net/f29/crankcase-v...aab-9-5-a-732/
    Last edited by nordwulf; 23 October 2013 at 14:41. Reason: moved to new thread

Katherine
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 Saab 9-5
    Thanks.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I changed your original post and split it up into paragraphs to make it easier to read. Also moved it to the Workshop forum so hopefully will get the attention of more members. Help is on the way!

mc iller
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    SAAB 9000 CD, SAAB 9-5 3.0 V6 TURBO 5D, SAAB 9-5 2.3 AERO SPORTCOMBI
    Sounds like it´s time to change the turbo.

Katherine
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 Saab 9-5
    I think it has something to do with the turbo not getting enough of something, so it's somehow being choked. Maybe not enough oil, air, something is NOT "flowing" as it should. The reason I believe this to be the case: When I put the oil sludge cleaner in the very first time, it cleared something, and then it worked good again. I put the oil sluge cleaner in a second time two months later, that's when all of this happened... I had too much oil in for one, secondly the motor flush probably disolved too much of something and the debris got clogged somewhere. Possibly in the turbo. The problem is I don't know how the turbo works and what it needs in order to run properly. The question is: What could be clogging or choking the turbo?

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    A bad turbo is typically blue smoke due to it burning oil.

White smoke is typically transmission fluid or coolant. If the exhaust smells a bit sweet, it is coolant. If it is super thick and more noticeable on start up than normal driving, it is typically transmission fluid.

That could also be a cause to why your oil level is reading full; other fluids are entering. I would start checking levels of other fluids, and seeing if they have any signs of oil in them (cross-mixing).

Also, is your engine running hot, or does the temp gauge stay relatively flat?
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab(s)
    '11 9-4X, '07 9-5 Combi, '99 Viggen, '88 900t, '87 ASFT, '85 SPG, '72 96
    I have had this happen when turbos crap out. Huge clouds of white smoke because the bearing between the water jacket and ehxaust housing crap out.

This could be an oil starvation issue too, especially since you have a low oil pressure light on. You can hook the car up to an oil tanker if you want, still doesn't help the oil get to where it needs to be. If everything isn't already shot, it will be very soon.

Explain more of "did the sump". Did you drop the oil pan and clean the pickup screen of sludge?

How was not fixing the hose problem more expensive than constantly adding oil?

Katherine
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 Saab 9-5
    It's definitely an oil starvation issue. That's why I dropped the oil pan/sump and cleaned the oil pick up screen. But that is and or was only one issue going on. It caused oil tobget into places it shouldn't have, because there was a clog somewhere so the oil went into combustion chamber and sprayed out of all four spark plug holes. Oil is not circulating the way it's supposed to. I just wish I knew more about cars. And yes I should have fixed the breather hose issue way before this happened but I didn't know what it could do. I only know now because of this site.

Katherine
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 Saab 9-5
    I didn't have any white smoke until I put the motor flush in, or until the oil went into the combustion chamber from the motor flush. After that, the white smoke came pouring out. Never before this incident.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    " When it started I gased it and oil came shooting out of all 4 spark plug holes"
    That makes no sense. How does it start with no spark plugs?