Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan

idling/starting issues

2007 Saab 9-5 2.3t

Ran into some issues yesterday, hoping ya'll can point me in the right direction.

Was driving down the highway and there was a sudden sputter and my engine light came on. After that the car was driving fine as long as you had the RPMs up, but if you stop and take your foot off the gas while the car is in gear, the RPMs drop way low and it is acting like its going to stall out. I had to keep my foot on the gas slightly to keep the RPMs up.

If you stop and put the car in park (its an automatic) the RPMs go up to where they usually are at idle, just under 1000.

I haven't had the chance to have the code read yet.

A few months ago I replaced the ignition cassette and spark plugs both with correct OEM parts and NGK plugs, I didn't buy the cheaper ignition, so I hope none of that is part of the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    Got the code read, it reads "P1230 Fuel Pump Regulator", internet search seems to indicate p1230 is related to the throttle body. If anybody can shed any light I would appreciate it.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    More info: http://saabworld.net/f144/p1230-thro...circuit-25302/

Looks like you may need a new throttle body.

Do a search on the site here for P1230 and it will show a few threads.

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    The P1230 info is perfectly describing my symptoms, I ordered a new throttle body, so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the info

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    Ordered the new throttle body, put it on yesterday, all issues appear to be resolved. Hopefully this will be it for a while.

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    Well of course this story isn't over yet. I'll take any advice that can be offered up.

As I said in my last post I ordered and installed a brand new throttle body, OEM, from eeuroparts.com, not rebuilt, new.
    When I stuck it on the car was running like a champ for a day, then the engine light came back on, and the car was sputtering and idling rough again.

Tired of all this I went and bought my own code reader. The codes it had were 1260, 0101, 1251, all related to air flow and the throttle body.
    I cleared the codes and disconnected the negative battery terminal to perform the "Swedish Reboot".
    While waiting around with the battery disconnected I double checked all my lines I put into the new TB and made sure the main air intake on the top was nice and tight. The throttle appears to be opening and closing just fine, it had better, its BRAND NEW.

Reconnect the battery and start the car, the first attempt it acted strange, sputtered and didn't start up. Second attempt the car fired up and once again running and idling perfectly, no engine light on.
    Drove the car for about 13 miles, drove like a dream no issues.

Then shortly after that, engine light comes on, however the car is still running and idling fine. I check the code and its p1260 again, saying the throttle is not closing properly.

What else could be going on here? What should I try? I can't imagine that a simple spring mechanism on a brand new part would not be working, or could something else be getting in the way of the throttle spring ? As I typed that last sentence, I realize that maybe there is a zip tie back there that might be getting in the way, I'd better go check that. Still, I'll listen to any other suggestions.

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    Checked, everything looks clear, code 1260 came back. Out of ideas

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    I just found this page
    http://www.thesaabsite.com/FAQ--elec...placement.html

The interesting bit is the part at the end that says when you install a new TB you have to get the ECU re-programmed to accept it.

Can anybody confirm that?

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    I can confirm that previous posts indicate that you wont need a tech II UNLESS it continues to exhibit a rough idle.

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    For the record here I did have to take the car to a "dealership" to have the ECU re-calibrated to the new throttle body. Drove it about 200 miles since then and everything has been good.
    It was a quick service, took less than an hour and only cost $40. However, I did have to drive 100 miles to get to a place that could do the service. That part makes me a little bit nervous. How long will it be before there isn't anybody around who can do these types of service?