Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Jimbo
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 2.3t Vector

Saab to restart?

Saab production resumes in Trollhattan under NEVS control | CarAdvice

I really hope they do. They are only starting out with turbocharged 9-3's to begin with, then they're going to start rolling out the electric versions.

I hope they are going to carry on with old models as well. I really was hoping to get a 9-4X (maybe even a 9-7X) if they ever started production for Europe, but that went tits up, thanks GM.

Logo is also now just plain black with SAAB through the centre. Going to miss that griffin.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Don't hold your breath. Even the Sabbanatti who were perhaps employed by Saab aren't optimistic. It was a calibration run of the line, it was a diesel and they indicate that if cars are made they will target Asia. Regarding the Mexican built 9-4 and the 9-7, the will never see production again since they were GM and the main reason for Saab's demise was that GM was stretched too thin and competing with itself costs a pile of money. It's a bad economy all over and Saab was not exactly playing well in the sandbox with GM and cost cutting, BMW got caught cheating and fudging production numbers so the industry problems are bigger than "mean GM" who also cut the beloved Pontiac division. Saab would have been dead way back when having lost inertia after producing the same 900 classic for eons. While the world was leaning to AWD, where was Saab? Horsepower and handling were way behind and when they took a stab at a 'halo car" even that was a bit of a stone (The Turbo X). Lord knows why but then they changed the marketing thrust to philosophy professors and third grade teachers. Finally, when Muller took over they refused to budge from sticker price and we still may have had a Saab today, tottering but alive, if Muller had been competitive. You don't take over a wounded and questionable auto company and demand top dollar for cars that dated back to 2003. In the end, the cars were just not worth the sticker price. Now toss in the fact that Muller had been collecting bonus money while not paying the ad agency (real dumb), and his suppliers? Perhaps we will get real answers since Muller and Antonov were both placed under arrest, some of the folks like Ake Johnsson may tell us what really went on.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Saab/NEVS is going to have a tough time. It doesn't matter if I am critical or cheering. I'd really like it if they came out with a modern day 900 or 9-3 but even a well respected and well designed electric Phoenix that isn't suitable for me would be nice.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Saab/NEVS is going to have a tough time. It doesn't matter if I am critical or cheering. I'd really like it if they came out with a modern day 900 or 9-3 but even a well respected and well designed electric Phoenix that isn't suitable for me would be nice.
    Not to mention that the Phoenix platform is nearly 3 years old, yet a single road car has yet to be produced on it. 3 years is a long time for stagnation in the car world.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig