Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Michael S. Lucas
    Saab(s)
    1991 900 SE Turbo Convertible, 2000 Saab 9-5 3.0 Wagon

Where do these shields and brackets go?

I put this car back together from a box of parts and have these left over. I realize the long one and U bolt are related to the exhaust but even the Bentely does not show pieces that look like these, and no where can I find a picture of the big one.
    My exhaust does rattle on hard acceleration so I figure this is important.
    Any advice or better yet pictures would be greatly appreciated!
    Name:  saab 900 exhaust mount.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  33.8 KB

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Skid plate under engine
    Support bracket to turbo
    Downpipe exhaust hanger/clamp.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1988 SPG 1986 900 Turbo/ notch 1999 9-5 base
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    Skid plate under engine
    Support bracket to turbo
    Downpipe exhaust hanger/clamp.
    The turbo support bracket as well as the skid plate are fairly critical components. without the turbo support bracket, the turbo / manifold will tend to crack. without the skid plate, the transmissions tend to crack.

Michael S. Lucas
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for the input guys. I should have clarified that I assumed the big one was a shield, but thought it was somehow related to the exhaust. Well today when I slid under the front of the car it was an immediate no-brainer!
    Next was the turbo bracket, and I can tell you that nowhere in the Bentley does it show this bracket. I was assuming this was the exhaust pipe bracket because the 2 large holes that go onto the turbo are exactly the size that fits the "U' bolt. Once I read Burnssides 'Support bracket to turbo' post I bknew how to search it and was able to see pictures of how it is actually oriented. (thank you)
    So now as it turns out it is the pipe bracket that fits the 'U'bolt that I do not have.
    Today I mounted the skid plate and turbo bracket, here are a few pics. I seriously apologize for the poor cellphone quality, especially the blurry one.
    Name:  saab 900 exhaust mountb.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  21.3 KBName:  saab 900 exhaust mountf.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  17.0 KBName:  saab 900 turbo exhaust mount.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  28.4 KB

While I was there I noticed two cooling leaks, in front from the line out of the Turbo which I found loose, and the second was from the water pump hose which also was loose.
    Both were tightened and no longer leaking.
    Thanks for the help, and I hope this info helps someone else!

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    You may even be missing the bracket that bolts to the side of the gearbox and takes the U bolt that secures the downpipe. Without it the DP can fracture at the joints. It looks a little like the turbo bracket, but with a bend in it. Looks like this part 14.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Michael S. Lucas
    Saab(s)
    Thank you Peva, that is what I am missing-I'm a little thrown off because the any pictures shown of the U bolt show it being spread, where mine is a standard bend, but I will try to source one at the salvage yard today and install asap.

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Object View Post
    Thank you Peva, that is what I am missing-I'm a little thrown off because the any pictures shown of the U bolt show it being spread, where mine is a standard bend, but I will try to source one at the salvage yard today and install asap.
    Don't take too much notice of the picture. My U bolt is not spread. It has straight legs.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1988 SPG 1986 900 Turbo/ notch 1999 9-5 base
    Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Object View Post
    the bracket that bolts the trans to the exhaust... well, you should have it, but it's not nearly as critical as the others. If you ever upgrade to the 3" exuaust, they don't really work anymore, but it does not cause any issues other than occasional vibration.

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    the bracket that bolts the trans to the exhaust... well, you should have it, but it's not nearly as critical as the others. If you ever upgrade to the 3" exuaust, they don't really work anymore, but it does not cause any issues other than occasional vibration.
    Not sure what you mean by don't work anymore with a 3" exhaust. I have a 3" exhaust on my vert and the bracket is fitted. It certainly takes the movement out of the pipe system which moves without it. With no bracket all the loads are taken by the DP elbow joint.
    Last edited by peva; 11 November 2013 at 12:13.

Michael S. Lucas
    Saab(s)
    I haven't sourced the bracket yet but know it makes a difference, I have readjusted the exhaust twice now and I believe it is moving more than it should and occasionally rubbing or contacting a heat shield. Did not know there was a benefit to upgrading to 3", after I get the rest of the bugs worked out I will look into it.