Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Kev

Saab(s)
    900s Auto

Low MPG ???

Hi all. I have just purchased a 900s 2ltr Auto convertable.

I am only getting an average of about 15 or less MPG.

is this normal?

Thanks

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Is this in town or highway? I had a 900 2.0t for years. In town, if I drove it enthusiastically, I was always around 15mpg. If I drove a bit more cautiously, I would typically be about 17mpg in town.On the highway I was typically around 25~26mpg if I drove it around 70mph. If I went up to ~72mph it would drop to about 23~24mpg. If I was willing to drive at 65mph, I could get 28mpg.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Chris Campbell
    Saab addict
    Saab(s)
    '02 9-5 Aero JZW Stage 5+, '99 9-3 Turbo, '95 900SE Turbo Convertible, '95 900S Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev McCarthy View Post
    Hi all. I have just purchased a 900s 2ltr Auto convertable.

I am only getting an average of about 15 or less MPG.

is this normal?
    Thanks
    Nope, not normal. I've always averaged mid-high twenties in mixed driving in my NG900 'vert and OG9-3. I used to get 1-2mpg less on the 9-3 since it was an auto (5-spd conversion underway). I'd start with simple stuff, front 02 sensor (you can splice a generic one in from eBay for cheap), tire pressure, etc... Have you actually calculated your gas mileage? Or are you just going off of what it says on the SID? Are you getting any CELs? Does it seem to be running particularly rich (exhaust smells like gas/sometimes dark smoke if it's running pig rich)?

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Imperial gallon, which is larger?

1990 900 (non-turbo) approx. 18-28 mpg, average 22
    1999 9-3, approx 20-26, average 23
    2005 9-3, approx 20-35, average 26

This is my experience, measured in US gallons. If the filters and oil is old, change it. Also check tyres. All of these steps probably won't solve the problem.

Oh, I had a Saab automatic, which got about 1 mpg less.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '08 9-7x
    I'm interested in hearing a more complete answer to this question. My recently purchased 900 2.0L got about 20 MPG on the first full tank I gave it, which was less than I hoped for for mixed highway/town driving. Anyone know what changes will actually improve mileage? The tires are fine (just put new ones on); will new plugs or wires make a measurable difference? Anything else?

Check the tire pressures if you don't already; just because the tires are new doesn't mean they are inflated properly. Spark plugs could be involved, so you may want to pull them to inspect the gap and general condition (the correct gap is listed on a placard above the radiator, I believe). There are no wires per se, instead a coil-on-plug system is used (DI cassette). These can and do go bad after a while, but often will set a code when there is a problem.

Short trips in cold weather are horrible for mileage as well, since fuel economy is poor before the engine and catalyst are up to temperature.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    This is a US based site so it would be nice if you did the conversions instead of the other way around. Worthing in Nebraska or UK and how about mileage. It's the little things that make a difference.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Off-topic discussion moved here: http://saabworld.net/f16/us-global-site-29689/

It looks like the OP has not been back since he started this thread. British MPG are usually higher numbers than US MPG. 15 MPG UK is 12.5 MPG US. Both are pretty bad numbers for a Saab 900.

George McKinnon
    Saab(s)
    1995 Saab 900SE convertible
    I am an independent mechanic, specializing in engine rebuilds. I find that engines more than fifteen years old or with high mileage (relative to the number of cylinders) suffer from dried and cracked valve stem seals. Of course some are worse than others depending on the overall climate in your area, how often your car has overheated or at least gotten close to overheating etc. I am publishing an article in the Saab tech area that explains this problem in more detail.