Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-3 convertible

2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible - didn't start?

Hi all - have owned my Saab for three years now and it has been perfect! Stopped at a store the other night and when I came back and turned the key, I had full power to the lights and dash, but the engine didn't crank. No clicking, no sounds at all, no dimming of lights. Thought maybe there was an issue with SID reading the key? After about 5 minutes of locking, unlocking doors, trying the ignition now and again, it just started and it has not happened since. There were no error codes on the display, nothing at all to indicate there was anything wrong.........any ideas out there? Anyone run into a similar issue? Thanks!

If you have an automatic transmission, it could be the neutral safety switch going out. If it happens again, try starting in neutral or rowing the shifter through the range a couple times to see if it helps.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-3 convertible
    Thanks, continued to research and seems that this is a fairly common problem. One owner cleaned the contacts on the switch connector and it never happened again. I'll try that and take it from there. Appreciate your response.