Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles

NG900/OG9-3 Convertible Wind Blocker Grommet Installation Instructions

grommet install[1].pdf

File includes the drilling templates to locate the mounting grommets.

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    I actually did this job back in May or late April, forget which, and feel I need to add to the official Saab instruction sheet. Step #7 has one omission and needs one additional warning.

There is a screw in the rear foot well on each side of the car which needs to be removed also. It is shown as a tiny circle in the diagram accompanying step #7 but the instructions do not say to remove it. IT MUST BE REMOVED.

The final line of instructions for step #7 says to lift the rear interior side panel straight up to remove. They are not joking! The interior panels are made from a product somewhere between cardboard and OSB. There is a hollow plastic cube glued to this door panel and slid behind a metal bracket which is also attached to the interior side panel. This plastic cube slides down over a stiff plastic bristle pin as the upper rear locator for the interior side panel. Rocking or bending of the panel to remove it will result in the plastic cube tearing free from the interior panel (Please don't ask why I know this) which will then need to be re-glued and cured before reassembly.

The only other caveats are that every fastener is unique, no two torx screws require the same bit, and to do this job out of doors on a warm sunny day when you can lower the top and stand in the rear passenger compartment to perform the all the steps.

I believe these instructions apply to only the 2000 and 2001 models. I have been told that the 2002 and 2003 convertibles came from the factory with these grommets installed as stock equipment.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-5 Griffin Sedan, 2001 9-3 Viggen Convertible, 1985 900 Turbo 3dr Combi
    Found a genuine SAAB wind blocker/deflector used on Ebay for my MY01 Viggen vert. Made reference to your post here on the mounting grommet install, very helpful. However, even knowing this and doing my level best to pull straight up, I ended up having to hotglue two of these plastic cubes back onto the interior panels. Well, its nearly 20 years old, maybe it wasn't all my fault. Thanks!