Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3

Saab 9-3 2.0 Linear Dies Randomly

Hi,

After countless hours of searching online, I have decided to ask my question directly.

I drive a 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T Linear. Beginning about two months ago my Saab started to die at random times. I could be driving 45 MPH, 35 MPH, 15 MPH or even just sitting at a light. The engine will cut out or the wheel will lock up and I will coast to a stop. Most of the time the power will remain on, while less frequently the whole electrical system will shut down with the engine. Upon turning the key again, nothing will turn over (not even an attempt to crank). The only thing that seems to get it working again is to unhook the negative terminal on the battery. Upon doing that, the car starts and I am on my way...until the next time it happens.

We took it to a dealership here in town that ran tests on the computer and found nothing they could think of. Then reading some posts online we replaced the Crankshaft position sensor. After that fix we are still having the same problems. Any help would be appreciated! I have been a Saab owner for 8 years and LOVE their cars. I've had this particular 9-3 for just under a year now. A bit more info- bought this car used in '12 with 62k miles and the 60k maintenance having just been performed. Car now has 70k miles. Thanks in advance!

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Sounds like it's loosing it's ignition signal and if the CIM is locking the column I'd bet there is something up with the ISM (ignition switch).
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    Sounds like it's loosing it's ignition signal and if the CIM is locking the column I'd bet there is something up with the ISM (ignition switch).
    Thanks so much for the quick reply! Hopefully your on to something here. Ill take it to my mechanic and see if that's the issue. May be a day or so but ill return with an update! Again, what a quick reply! Thank you!

Saab(s)
    2005 9-3 2.0t, Past: 2000 9-5 2.3t, 1990 saab 900s
    What was the problem and solution?

Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-2 2.0T

Same Problem

Hi,

After countless hours of searching online, I have decided to ask my question directly.

I drive a 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T Linear. Beginning about two months ago my Saab started to die at random times. I could be driving 45 MPH, 35 MPH, 15 MPH or even just sitting at a light. The engine will cut out or the wheel will lock up and I will coast to a stop. Most of the time the power will remain on, while less frequently the whole electrical system will shut down with the engine. Upon turning the key again, nothing will turn over (not even an attempt to crank). The only thing that seems to get it working again is to unhook the negative terminal on the battery. Upon doing that, the car starts and I am on my way...until the next time it happens.

We took it to a dealership here in town that ran tests on the computer and found nothing they could think of. Then reading some posts online we replaced the Crankshaft position sensor. After that fix we are still having the same problems. Any help would be appreciated! I have been a Saab owner for 8 years and LOVE their cars. I've had this particular 9-3 for just under a year now. A bit more info- bought this car used in '12 with 62k miles and the 60k maintenance having just been performed. Car now has 70k miles. Thanks in advance!
    I have been experiencing the same issue daily. You are the only other person I have found with the same problem. Have you found out the cause? I replaced the CPS as I read that a failing one can cause the stalling problem, but it did nothing but cause frustration. I am thinking of running a toggle switch to the battery from inside the car so when it stalls I can flick the switch, restart the can and then be on my way. Other than that, I am out of ideas. Thanks in advance.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    What fault codes are in these cars? I assure you there are faults stored. With some more information I could help point you in the right direction.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0 convertible
    Has anyone been able to figure out what the solution was for this?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom015 View Post
    Has anyone been able to figure out what the solution was for this?
    Depending on the specifics, there are a couple of solutions for this problem with the CPS being the most common cheap and easy solution.

If you are experiencing the shutdown that won't let you crank the engine without pulling the battery cable, you can narrow the cause to the ECM by pulling the under hood fuse 2 to reset without resetting the entire system. If you don't want to blindly toss money at a problem, you don't go replacing the Trionic 8 without finding one of the odd intermittent codes that are only present when the engine won't run and carrying a $20 code reader could save you a couple hundred bucks.

Saab(s)
    9.3T convert 2007
    My 93 quit again. Normally after the engine cooled it would start again. This time no go. I waited 2 hours and nothing. But I noticed that the upper hose was cold and the lower hose was extremely hot. Buddy came to my rescue and brought a socket set. I removed the batt cable to reset computer. Bam, started right up. Today I am going to remove the thermostat and run the car without a thermostat to see if the upper hose will get warm. Something is blocking the water from circulating.