Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Buying a 9-5

Hey, everyone

There are two 9-5's in my area that I'm going to look at tomorrow, one of which I will trade my Mercury in for and drive home. My issues are these - one is a fantastically priced 2003 Arc with 77k miles, the other is also well-priced, but more expensive 2004 Aero with 71k miles. Obviously I want the Aero, but the price for the Arc is much tastier. My main concern about buying the Arc is the engine sludge issue mentioned on this site. Since it has low miles, if I start using full synthetic oil(assuming the previous owner hasn't, already), can that sort of help clean it out before it becomes an issue? I could definitely afford the Aero, but I don't want another 60 month loan. I'm sure I could manage a 36 month loan on the Arc, but is it a risk?

Ugh... any advice?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    What are the prices of the Arc and Aero? While I don't know your financial situation, I now live by the rule "The price difference will be forgotten next month but you will have to live with the car (or other product) for a long time". You noted you would be able to afford the Aero and it always might be in the back of your head if you decide on the Arc.

The Aero definitely is a safer bet if you are not familiar with the service history or have seen the inside of the oil pan. If the engine already is affected by sludge, using synthetic oil won't magically clean it out.

Actually it was a Linear, not an Arc. The Linear is 8900, the Aero is 12000. I know I should get Aero, its the most reliable, has the better Mitsubishi turbo, etc. It even has the rear heated seats lol. I'll definitely be talking to my bank and see what I'm approved for tomorrow.

Assuming no engine sludge or anything, is that extra power worth the money? I'd be looking at automatics, anyway, so does the automatic Aero have the same ridiculous 40-70 times as the manual(or similar, at least). My current car has 300 horsepower, and I know I never ever use it all, so I know its a bit of a waste just driving to and from work. I know I'd like the 250 horsepower, but my wife's car only has 125, and it seems adequate(and always useable), so I would guess the 185 horsepower Linear would probably do all right, too...

I suppose I'm trying to talk myself out of the better car. I'll see if the dealer has the service records on the car when I look at the Linear tonight, see if the previous owner used full- or semi-synthetic oil in it.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    With the Linear, you'll most likely be replacing the turbo within the next few years. That's about $500 when you do it yourself (re-manufactured turbo) or $1000 (or more) when having it done at an indy. Much more at a Saab dealer. See, the price difference is getting smaller already.

The Aero also has more standard equipment, the nice looking exterior, 17" wheels and sport seats. It all depends what's important to you. The 250hp is very useable power and fuel mileage will be the same as the Linear (with the same driving style). I don't use it all the time but it is nice to know you have it when you need it.

It also depends what condition they are in. The Aero may look beaten up with a dirty, smelly interior and scratches/dents on the outside while the Linear may look and feel like a new car.

Replacing the turbo soon is a very good point. I'd rather not have to hassle with that anytime soon. Condition will have a huge part to play in my decision. I spoke with a salesman this morning and he said the Linear has a little hail damage, which is a contributing factor in the price. I'm checking it out tonight after work, so I'll post my thoughts on it after I check it out and drive it. It'll be my first time really driving a Saab, so I'm excited.

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    Quote Originally Posted by Rognmoe View Post
    It'll be my first time really driving a Saab, so I'm excited.

You do realize ... once that has happened (Linear or Aero), you WILL be hooked! ;-)
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca

I'm prepared to accept that It was the same when I started driving BMW's. Totally addictive drive. Until it snowed. Then it was all over(at least in mine). Granted, mine was a '94 318, no traction or stability control, so it was kind of a mess in the winter. Another thing I loved about that car - console mounted window switches. Hence my interest in a 9-5. It just made sense to me. No one else I've talked to seems to think its as good of an idea as I do, but I don't care.

I really appreciate their attention to safety, without being boring and ugly. Like a Volvo. Lol

So... just wrapped up test driving the 03. The poor car was not well. The hail damage was pretty severe on the doors, and the emblem was worn off on the hood. I understand this is merely cosmetic, but it turned me off a bit before even getting inside. The interior wasn't in great shape, either. The seats were really worn, for having only 77k miles. The seats were cracked, the carpets were wearing through, the dashboard was pretty creased and ugly looking.

Then I started it back up. Oh yes, the salesman had let it run for a bit before I got there, which I was not happy about. I like having a cold startup when I test a car, to make sure there's no weird noises or smoke or anything. I started it back up, and everything felt off. The engine vibrated peculiarly at idle, and when I started going, there was a strange, but very slight judder. Whenever I stopped, there was a weird thunk, either from the engine or the transmission. Either way, it did not inspire confidence

Driving it on the highway was pretty nice. The acceleration and punch was really satisfying, even in the 185 horsepower variant. I liked the ride, too. Firm, but very smooth. The steering probably would have been really nice, too, if the poor power steering pump wasn't on its last leg. It sort of whined most of the time and thumped whenever I turned the wheel over.

The dealer was terrible, too. My wife came along to look at the car, too, and the man didn't even acknowledge her. It wasn't until we got back from the test drive and I asked if it was customary to not acknowledge people's wives when they arrive. He did all kinds of backpedaling and my wife, who was infuriated, had a good time ripping into him. Needless to say, we left very unhappy. With the stupid dealer and the poor, mistreated Saab.

Tomorrow, I'm checking out the Aero. I do have high expectations, but this one does promise to be in much better shape. I'll let you guys know what I think and whether or not the financing works out. Hopefully I'll drive home a beautiful black 04 Aero.

2004 Saab 9-5 Aero, $11,999 - Cars.com This is the posting on cars.com, for anyone who wants to see