Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero

The "Don't know where that hose connect to" Problem

Hi Everyone,

New to Saabs and have a 2000 9-5 Aero. Note that I'm a novice at fixing cars with just basic knowledge to do majority of my own maintenance.

I got a check engine light with code P1110 recently and found a disconnected deteriorated hose which I replaced. After I disconnected and reconnected my battery to reset, the engine light went off.

At that same time, I found another disconnected hose and do not know where it goes to. With the engine on, there was no suction or pressure coming out of the hose so am unsure what it is.

The hose is located what seems to be the bottom right side of the engine near where the battery is. Please see the attached pictures of the hose. I have tried for 2 hours checking the forums/diagrams and trying to locate where it goes, feeling around underneath the various components for the nipple but still nothing. Damn frustrating. See the red markings.

If anyone can help and provide a picture to where it is suppose to connect to, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Also, does anyone know what the part number for this check valve circled in blue? It popped off and is only being held by part of the nipple and is pretty easy to pull off. [The open nipple in this pic has been fixed , i.e. the P1110 code.]
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    The one below the battery on the transmission is a vent. Leave it alone.
    You can find the one way valve part # and the part on thesaabsite.com or eeuroparts.com
    You could also just use a bit of crazy glue to keep it on the hose... Or get new hoses and valves.
    I just cleaned mine out with carb cleaner and compressed air. (Like new.)
    I used epoxy to do this "professional fix".
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have not look inside the check valve (and excuse me for being a nubie) but is does it have a rubber membrane inside to stop the backflow of pressure and would it not deteriorate the membrane using the carb cleaner? Cheers!

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I didn't look in it. Just cleaned it and glued it.
    On my other car for the PVC hose going to the cobra there is a hard plastic piece and a spring.
    I suppose one could use a less aggressive cleaner.
    I have not had one of those apart to see if there is a membrane or what exactly. I would guess it's hard plastic with a spring. Just because it has to deal with allot of heat. I don't think a membrane would suffice.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero
    You're most likely right. Will test if it still works correctly and if not, a possible replacement on the part.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Parts: eeuroparts.com thesaabsite.com
    Or check the other valve and go to the parts store. (I find the local parts stores around me think I'm a doctor when I mention SAAB. Then they price accordingly.... It's the same at the dealership.)
    I find some good deals on EBay for different things. Ex; rings for all 4 cylinders were $130 delivered. They came from England. (Ebay.uk.co) But were shipped from the Ukraine via Germany and the UK. Had them in 3 days!
    Rings at the local parts store were $87+ tax for 1 cylinder! They would have taken a week to get in...

Luis R
    Saab(s)
    03' 9-5 Linear wagon
    The battery has a drain for it.