Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnanxwd View Post
    Regarding oil, I would do a stop by a Saab dealer at the half way point since honestly, I feel that this sudden need for or actually the lack of an early oil change comes suspiciously with all of the industry hype about covering the first oil changes free.

Yeah right?

Suddenly we launched into some modern techno black hole that changes the physics of metal on metal contact?
    Isn't there metal on metal contact the entire life of the engine? I was under the impression that the initial oil change at an extremely low mileage is because of the tolerances when building the engine and engine parts. A piston slightly too large, even a thousandth of an inch, for a cylinder would wear causing chips and shavings to build up in the oil. But with modern manufacturing techniques, they can hold much tighter tolerances, which virtually eliminates that type of wear.

That was my thought on the whole thing.

And if one early oil change could prevent a lot of wear, wouldn't every manufacturer suggest it. The first oil change would still be free, but come earlier.

I know that new Volkswagens don't require the first oil change until 10,000 miles; at least that's for their diesel cars.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '11 9-5 Aero XWD
    Well, I think I will get an oil change when I make it back home. That'll be at about 2080 miles on the vehicle. As for tires, I guess I'm screwed. No run-flats, as far as as I know only BMW offers them as standard. Volvo, it's an option - although the Volvo dealer didn't even bother to to tell me they had eliminated the spare tire. I was ticked to see Saab doing the same, but at least there was room for a spare-just not a full-size 18"er for the XWD. So, I guess I wait for roadside assistance in the middle of North Dakota (that should arrive quickly, right? ) if I have a problem. And yes, I've had two cases in the past ten years where fix-a-flat would not have helped.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    How was the drive home? Any pictures of the new 9-5?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '11 9-5 Aero XWD
    It was a good, but long trip. A couple of 14 hr day drives with mainly great weather, which was much appreciated. Overall, I really, really like the car. I varied my speed for the first 1000 miles. There are a couple of issues that popped up; including a "Service Suspension System" warning that popped up after re-starting the car after a convenience store stop in Billings, but the warning hasn't been seen since and there is nothing noticeably wrong with said system. A check on other forums seems to indicate this is a known issue with no real answer. Also, the recirculate button doesn't seem to work. I also notice a tendency for the car to want to pull to the right, despite proper air pressure in tires. It actually pulled so much that my right wrist required a brace when I got back to the office. I chalked it up to the roads, but I think I will have the dealer here take a look at it. Also, I can't get the RDS (Radio Display System) to display FM info. This also was documented by another driver on another forum. Any answers for those issues from you folks??

Anyway, I do have some pictures, but still need to upload them. Granite Gray with Jet Black, 18" Rotor Wheels. Love the quick heat on the seats, SOOOOO much faster to heat up than my previous Volvo S60, and SOOOO much warmer. My back loved it. Of course, love the ventilated seats, as well. Had that on my first 9-5, back in '99, but couldn't afford it on my 2003 replacement 9-5. My favorite feature though is the Head-Up Display, which MUST be offered on the 9-4x. Absolutely love it! I would LOVE to have the rear headrests that SaabUSA show on their website, the current ones definitely don't say Saab and they block too much visibility. They also don't fold down, like my old 9-5 headrests, or my Volvo headrests.

Sadly, I did not encounter another NG 9-5 anywhere along my 2100 mile journey. It's nice to be unique for sure, but it also shows why Saab is having the problems they are. This car should easily sell, but one of two things MUST happen. The interior quality needs to be improved (I like it, but everyone knows that is it is not a $50K+ interior and I know VM knows that too) or the price needs to fall to reflect this. I'm not sure how Saab financially makes this happen, but for what I paid for it (not anywhere close to the MSRP), I believe I got a great deal and am very happy, unfortunately at the expense of Saab and the dealer.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Sounds like a good trip. With the couple problems you've got (Service Suspension coming on once, pulling right, and the RDS), just make sure to tell the dealer. All the complaints hopefully make it back to Saab where they can improve upon it, and you have a written track record of these things in case they actually do go wrong.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '11 9-5 Aero XWD
    Day 2 with my new AeroName:  P6060042.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  49.2 KBName:  P6060049.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  42.3 KB

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '11 9-5 Aero XWD
    The RDS is still not fixed. The dealer said all of their 2011s with navigation were the same way. I'm now in touch with SCNA to hopefully resolve the issue. BTW, the steering wheel was misaligned at factory, but was fixed. Besides dealing with the corporate drama with Saab, I'm very happy with my third 9-5 since '99.