Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2010 93x XWD 2.0T, 1985 900 T16s (spg, aero).

1982 900 turbo APC, ingnition timing

Hi all, I'm having a problem with my '82 APC turbo, the car has been off the road since '96. She struggles to start and misfires badly underload from 4000 rpm, I'm using unleaded fuel and it just occurred to me that the car may be set to run on leaded. I've changed the dizzy cap , ht leads spark plugs, and coil. Changed the vacuum pipes etc. does anyone know what may be causing this misfire or how many degrees the timing needs to be retarded or advanced to run unleaded so that I can check,

many thanks

chris

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    Leaded-unleaded-makes no difference to ignition timing. Timing is 16 degrees BTDC with dizzy vac hose disconnected. Do you have the correct spark plugs. The turbo is very picky. Use only NGK. NGK BCP7EVX

Saab(s)
    Hi, thanks, Yes I'm using NGK's, I'm going to check the timing when I get a strobe, I think the 8v is 20 BTDC, I was just wondering about the fuel as years ago some cars needed an adjustment.

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrislizzy View Post
    Hi, thanks, Yes I'm using NGK's, I'm going to check the timing when I get a strobe, I think the 8v is 20 BTDC, I was just wondering about the fuel as years ago some cars needed an adjustment.
    You are correct. The 8V is 20 BTDC. \the fuel makes no difference.

Chris
    Saab(s)
    1973 99 EMS..1996 9k AERO..1984 c900T
    living the dream on my 1984 8v turbo apc....car had been parked for 10 years and the whole fuel system is toast..slowly working my way through the fuel system mine starts no problem but will load up with fuel after about 2 minutes and kill the car..rust/bad fuel/black gunk..all kinds of fun...keep us posted on your tests/findings

Saab(s)
    Hi, mine hadn't been started in 15 years, I'm well acquainted with the black gunge as that was all that was left of the fuel pick up bellows in the tank. The plunger in the CIS fuel distributor metering head was sticking, just a tiny bit of dirt was stopping it moving freely. Took the plunger out and cleaned the whole unit. That seemed to improve things. New fuel filter, new fuel pump as well. The fuel pump relay was faulty, luckily I had one, very rare and expensive. I've also disconnected the electrical connection to the cold start injector as my spark plugs were black after a short time. Slowly getting there!

Chris
    Saab(s)
    do not want to thread jack but do you guys have any pointers since we have the same fun story...mine will start up just fine when cold after about 2 minutes the idle will slowly drop down and die out when this happens she loads up with gas and is a total bear to re-start your just better off walking away and trying again later...if I work the accel. she will stay running just not on her own....any ideas what I could look into?

Saab(s)
    Sounds like a fuel to air mixture problem. When you first start the car the auxiliary air valve should allow air to bypass the throttle, and the cold start injector will enrich the mixture.This I believe is controlled by the temperature sender on the top of the inlet manifold.when the engine warms the cold start shuts off and the auxiliary air valve closes. This cuts off the extra air supply to the engine. I had a similar problem with mine, the engine just wasn't "breathing" properly, two things were wrong with mine, the plunger that controls the amount of fuel in relationship to air in the CIS metering head was sticking, and the nut and bolt that controls idle had fallen out of the side of the throttle body. When I disconnected a vacuum hose from the inlet manifold to create an air leak the revs rose, that's what's due me check the metering head. The car then ran but I then heard the air leak which I soon realised was the idle control bolt missing.

Edward G
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    T5.5 84 900T8
    No the cold start injector only works when the engine Is cranking unless the thermister in the head is faulty.

The warm up cycle relies on the warm up regulator lowering the control pressure to allow more fuel distributor piston movement this allows the delivery of more fuel to the injector. The air valve increases air available past closed throttle plate to increase the idle and warm the engine faster. The warm up reg and air valve have heating elements which act to close the valve and raise te control pressure at the warm up regulator. As the engine warms the control pressure increases reducing fuel distributor piston movement and reducing the fuel goin to the injectors - lean out.

When k jet gets old and dirt enters the system the control pressure and sometimes system pressure end up far too high. This results in a lean poorly atomised mixture which often deceivingly makes the plugs look black or wet.

Chris
    Saab(s)
    is there a way to look at fuel pressures on these? (i'm able to on my d-jet) is there an area of the system I should look at a little closer...the piston plunger in the fuel dist. was sticking so I took it apart and cleaned that piston up...then I found the warm up regulator was gummed up as well..cleaned that up and at least I can start the car and get out of it without holding an idle ... your correct the plugs will be soaked i'm assuming that she's running so rich it's flooding the car out causing the die out and no hot restart....thanks for any input/help guys (sorry about thread jacking)