Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x
    Zookeeper, I'd like to ask for a follow up on your post. I had the same thought: why not just put a tail/brake bulb in the brake socket and wire it to do both? I just didn't know what socket and bulb to use. How has your set up worked out, and did you use LED bulbs? Do these just get brighter when you hit the brakes?

Saab(s)
    2010 9-5 Aero, 20119-4x

Tail light fix

Quote Originally Posted by 2whluge View Post
    Zookeeper, I'd like to ask for a follow up on your post. I had the same thought: why not just put a tail/brake bulb in the brake socket and wire it to do both? I just didn't know what socket and bulb to use. How has your set up worked out, and did you use LED bulbs? Do these just get brighter when you hit the brakes?
    The number for the socket is Pig Tail Plug 7440 T20. Just google Pig Tail Plug 7440 T20 and you can find several suppliers. I got mind from partstime.com but there are others. The bulbs are GE 7443 and can be found at any auto parts store. You cause quick connector to splice the wires but I think it is important to solder the connections and seal them with shrink wrap. I did mine over a year ago and it works great. You could spend a fortune replacing taillights and at some point you won't be able to find them. I don't know if LED bulbs are available but I suspect that they are. The brake light works just like they are supposed to as long as you connect the wires correctly. I suggest that you temporarily make the connections and test it before soldering. Good luck, I love my 9-4x.
    Last edited by zookeeper; 02 January 2017 at 18:12. Reason: typo

Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x 3.0i

Exclamation Need to get replacement rear quarter mounted tail light

I bought this vehicle about 18 months ago. I have been trying to find replacement lights for the rear quarter mounted assemblies for about a year. I heard that GM was working to get a supplier to produce them for replacement - service. Does anyone know of updates; or if there are any of these assemblies available anywhere? All I can find are sites that show them as indefinitely backordered.

Also; I would like to see a picture of one of these vehicles with all of the tail lights working properly. I'm not sure now that they were working when I bought it. The deck lid eyebrow LED is good. The outside LED strips are out - but flash for a second when I operate the keyless remote. There are no full time lights on the outer assemblies at night but the brake, signal and back-up lights work fine.

We really love the car but I need to get this taken care of. If the deck-lid strip fails I will not be able to drive at night.

Help!!!!!! Any suggestions are welcomed.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I doubt any supplier will start to make these available again as the model has been discontinued for 5+ years and only about 650 were made. And GM probably couldn't care less about the 9-4X.

This is a picture of my 9-4X when it was new with just the regular tail lights on.

Name:  P1120021.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  41.2 KB

Name:  P1120020.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  31.9 KB

Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x 3.0i
    Thanks for the quick reply. I know this is a common problem any idea what other owners are doing to fix it?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    MLC 94-x owner, I merged your thread with another tail light thread. Check out the previous posts for more info.

Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x
    I plan to get the parts and make the mod when I get a warm day. I understand why law enforcement would not accept the hatch bar as it does not wrap enough and there is no side marker.

Thanks for for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by MLC 94-x owner View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I know this is a common problem any idea what other owners are doing to fix it?
    Buy a new center bar now while it's still available, before it goes out too. It does work as a running light as well.

they are in

Quote Originally Posted by MLC 94-x owner View Post
    The outside LED strips are out - but flash for a second when I operate the keyless remote. There are no full time lights on the outer assemblies at night but the brake, signal and back-up lights work fine.

Help!!!!!! Any suggestions are welcomed.
    The Saab Site has some in at a fair price -- about $500 for the pair. I put my order in this morning. I am planning on keeping the old ones as well!

I did put my new pair of tail lights in this weekend. I'm not sure if this is a new build or just some dusty old ones they found laying around in Mexico, but they look to be the same quality as the old ones visually. Both sides do work, and I now have running lights again. I'm wondering if I should try sealing the "welds" so condensation stays out of the inside, but I didn't and probably won't get around to it. If you do install, the most difficult -- and it's not at all difficult -- part is popping out the black plastic cover. There are three metal clips that pop into the back of the car and two or three plastic tabs that hook on the side. You can identify the location from the replacement part. Sure is nice to be running "legal" again, and not relying on the center bar -- which I've replaced too -- as a running light.