Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    94-x

Exclamation Saab 9-4X Tail Light problems

Hi I have a 2011 94-X. I have a few issues with it I was wondering if any of you may have had. The LED lights on the top of the tail lights will not come on any longer. They are the light that is used as the tail light at night when the lights are on. When you push the remote they flash for a split second but do not turn on. I am wondering if its a short or maybe a loose connection. Took it to Saab and they bascially said they couldn't fix it. Cadillac, same thing.

Also has a leak coming into the passenger side. I have heard it is due to the moon roof?

Any suggestions please let me know. I must get the car inspected asap.
    Thank you so much for reading this! Take care - JT

Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium, 2010 9-5 Aero, 2008 TurboX SC
    The leak on the passenger side is a three hour fix by a SAAB dealer. Basically what has happened is the tube that takes water from your the "pit" around the moonroof has shrunk, and popped out of the hole in the engine compartment's firewall, where it needs to be to drain water to under the vehicle. There is a bulletin on this, so SAAB is aware of the problem. For mine, they heated the existing tubes, stretched them out, and re-installed them. Has been working great ever since. Obviously this is one that would have been covered if the warranties still existed ...

As for the tail light issue ... I have the same symptoms with my back left tail light. It also seems to be very common. Do you have it on both sides, or just the left side? Left side is more common. With the LED flashing with the remote, that tells me the little LEDs work ... mine does the same. I'm now smart enough about the electricals to further figure it out though. But they really aren't the tail lights ... the tail lights stay on at night and illuminate brighter when you hit the brakes, right? This is the nice LED "eyebrow" effect over the tail light that you are referencing.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-5 & 2011 9-4x
    I am having the same issue with my 94x premium. Back hatch stays on but both driver & passenger lights do not light...flash only for a slit second when unlocking the door. I have pulled the housing out but could not see any issues or changes when jiggling the connector cables. I did have a slow leak in the drivers side housing and fixed with super glue. Please post if you find out new information. Thanks!

Saab(s)
    And I just learned last evening that at night, my back left LED works normally ... but in the day time, when I guess they are supposed to be at half intensity, it takes a vacation.

Nothing abnormal about the back right LED eyebrow.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2011 94x
    I had the same problem with my 94x. The only thing you can do is replace the whole assembly which I did and have no more problems. I'm in the process of trying to fix my old ones, but when I got the lenses off the led strip is more complex then I thought it would be. It has it's own circuit board and is mounted into the case, so as soon as I come up with something I will post it. Might be some time though. Try hammys auto on ebay they have taillights, but make sure it's domestic and not euro!

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Sun roof drain turbe shrinks - needs to be replaced. Cut and dry.

Tail Lights seem to be going "bad" like the 2008+ 9-3 headlight 3 amber LED's - they just stop working one day. Only current fix is to replace the lamp. I just did BOTH of these repairs to a 9-4X Aero the other week.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 Vector SS / 9-3 Aero SS / 9-3 Aero SportCombi / 9-4X Aero / 900 Turbo Convertible
    I have the same problem. Does anybody have a part number for the left LED and know how much it will cost?

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dMod View Post
    I have the same problem. Does anybody have a part number for the left LED and know how much it will cost?
    Unfortunately it is more than the left LED ... it is the whole left tail light assembly. Quotes from two different official SAAB service centers were the same: [FONT=&quot]$317.57.[/FONT]

One, possibly two hours of labor, is the estimate of what would be required.

For me, it is frustrating as sometimes the LED works (normally at night), and sometimes it does not (which of course makes the vehicle look bad with a brilliant light bar lined up with the perfectly illuminated right LED).

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 Vector SS / 9-3 Aero SS / 9-3 Aero SportCombi / 9-4X Aero / 900 Turbo Convertible
    The left eyebrow is finally repaired.

New tail light at Hammys... 100$
    Shipping to Europe incl. customs charges... about 70$
    Replacing at formerly SAAB dealear... 1 hour work (why in the hell I bought the European version?!? )

... to see the beautiful tail with a continuous red bar: priceless!
    Last edited by dMod; 08 February 2014 at 08:09.

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dMod View Post
    The left eyebrow is finally repaired.

New tail light at Hammys... 100$
    Shipping to Europe incl. customs charges... about 70$
    Replacing at formerly SAAB dealear... 1 hour work (why in the hell I bought the European version?!? )

... to see the beautiful tail with the a continuous red bar: priceless!
    Where is Hammys? Do they have a website? $100 for something SAAB wants to charge over $300 for is a sweet deal. Congrats.