Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-4X Aero

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '11 9-4X Aero, '07 9-3 Aero Conv, had 9-3 Conv (99) 9000 (86)
    Quote Originally Posted by kanundrum View Post
    So. I bought a new light because I know I wanted to get to the bottom of this issue. While I have not found a conclusion 100% I can say with certainty it is the electronic control board and nothing to do with the actual LED's. I removed the old tail light, removed all wiring from it, baked it in the oven and removed the lens and removed the LED bar. The LED's as shown work fine and I could not get any information to display on the multimeter for the actual circuit board. What I think the main issue is the LED circuit board plug is not epoxied and something (like water or dust) gets into it and causes havok. This is just my guess because as you can see clearly the one for the normal brake light bulbs and turn signal bulbs are soaked in epoxy. So before I installed my new light I epoxied it and made sure it was water proof. These are just my results so hopefully it can help.
    I noticed same problem, LED light stops working only during a cold weather or sometimes after a carwash. I take out a light, and while reconnecting it LED blinks for a second, I keep on playing with it until it fully lights up and stays on. Takes about 1 min and works fine for at least few weeks. But I will def put some sealers now. Thanks!

Saab Fan
    Either the Coast or Mountains of North Carolina
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium FWD
    Just realized that my 9-4x's left rear LED has went out. I still have an ESC on mine, so I am going to try and get the dealership (a SAAB Service Center) to repair it under the warranty when I take it in to get another repair done (two birds, one deductible). Let's hope all goes well.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '95 9000 Aero, '98 9000 CSE, '05 9-5, '11 9-4X
    Just noticed the left LED went TU. My wife takes it through the car was far too often. Has anyone figured out why always the left?

jack vines

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by packardv8 View Post
    Just noticed the left LED went TU. My wife takes it through the car was far too often. Has anyone figured out why always the left?

jack vines
    It's not left only, right one went out on mine. Also after a carwash. I reconnected it several times, it went on, but now it completely went out. Had to get a new one from the dealer. Spoke with others, other brands have similar problems. LED does not tolerate cold or hot weather.. that's all...

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-4X Aero
    Seal your LED's folks....

Saab Fan
    Either the Coast or Mountains of North Carolina
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium FWD
    Quote Originally Posted by TapacUA View Post
    It's not left only, right one went out on mine. Also after a carwash. I reconnected it several times, it went on, but now it completely went out. Had to get a new one from the dealer. Spoke with others, other brands have similar problems. LED does not tolerate cold or hot weather.. that's all...
    Have you had any more problems since you replaced yours? Was about to call to set up an appointment and get mine changed but am wondering if it is worth the trouble.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    no more problems, you can buy it and replace it yourself, there's only 2 screws holding it. Even if it burns once every 2 years, I still think it's worth it, make the car look better. I'll try not to wash my car anymore when it's -10 C outside. It took me few minutes to drive to a warm garage, but I guess it was too late lol.
    Also, I read somewhere that the once's that bur are the defected one's, the new lights have the issue resolved. Lets hope it's true.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '95 9000 Aero, '98 9000 CSE, '05 9-5, '11 9-4X
    The piece of info still missing is what part is actually failing? Since the LEDs flash briefly at startup, it would seem they are still functioning, but something in the solid state switching circuit is the culprit.

jack vines

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by packardv8 View Post
    The piece of info still missing is what part is actually failing? Since the LEDs flash briefly at startup, it would seem they are still functioning, but something in the solid state switching circuit is the culprit.

jack vines
    whatever is failing, the whole light still needs to be replaced. The whole light assembly. It costs about $290. I saved the old light, and once have some time I will take it apart and see if I can fix it. But the question is will I be able to put all back together so the moisture does not get inside..