Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    SAAB 9-5 SE
    Rock Auto Parts $21.99

Ron Fredey
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 3.0
    Resoldered mine today and regained continuity.

Check with a multimeter to insure there is continuity between the following pins (numbers on bottom of relay).

56a to 56al
    56a to 56ar
    56b to 56bl
    56b to 56br

To check continuity set your multimeter to ohms, or you can use a test light to test between the pins.

I found this info elsewhere on this site posted by COSMO.
    Last edited by Massauto; 24 December 2014 at 13:25.

Saab(s)
    2005 9-3 turbo convertable
    What if,when I bought my car two yrs ago....this relay was missing? Now, I'm having headlight issues. Checked fuses, replaced headlight socket and nothing. Reading it could be thr lamp control relay &'have never had one, since I purchased my car.

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Given it's the signature car, 9-3 MY2005, which in question, is there no "orange relay" installed. The headlamp bulbs power and filament monitoring is very different from the 9-5s, designed as it is by Pulse With Modulation (PWM).

Given you provide some details regarding your headlight issues, e.g. halogens or xenons, dipped - or main beams, right - or left etc, we may be in position of giving some specific advices.

Saab(s)

Smile

no orange relay. Spot for it, but it has never been in my car since I purchased it 12/2012. All front lights now on my drivers side are out. Replaced headlight socket cause last yr. when I changed the light, the wiring on headlight socket looked corroded etc. 1st changed light/ nope. Replaced dipped beam socket / nope. Now I read about orange relay, which I've never had. .??? Any suggestions? I just don't want to get screwed at repair shop. Already asked how much it would be and I got quoted at $104 hr. Thanks

Saab(s)
    Configuration of lights is different in areas worldwide, so to provide any suggestions for your 9-3 following clarification is needed:

- Halogen - or xenon headlights?
    - Is the drivers side parking light as well out?
    - Is drivers side direction indicator working?
    - Is the left side marker out or lit?
    - Are you sure that the dipped beam -, main beam - and parking bulbs are all in working order on drivers side, i.e. filament wires not broken?

Saab(s)
    Drivers side front light are all out besides the turn signal. All front passenger side lights work.

Saab(s)
    All lamps in the headlamps are supplied on wires from separate sources in the Underhood Electrical Centre (UEC). What they have in common is ground (B÷), black wire on pin #1 on the connector. Connect a multimeter to this pin and measure resistance to a good point on chassis - should read 0 ohm, or less than 1-.

UEC fuses in question could be #16 and #26, however as they supply partly left- / right headlamps, is rupted fuses not the culprit.

Saab(s)
    9-5 2002
    Subject: Left High Beam not working 2002 9-5 Linear

Great post. I had the same problem with my 2002 9-5 Linear. My left high beam did not work - but all other lights worked. Fuse was good, bulb good, wires good. I tested voltage from bulb plug and got variable 4.5 to 5.5 volts. Took the circuit board out of the orange controller and saw multiple hairline cracks. Repaired solder and done! Works perfectly now.

Note that for me, just adding more solder did not work. I had to remove all of the old solder with wick before re-soldering all base connections. Be careful not to use too much else you could cross a circuit. Examine it under a magnifying glass before connecting it.

Lastly, if you disconnected the battery to access the bulbs and wire on left side, the car's emission diagnostic computer does a reset - and it WILL NOT pass inspection (in MA) until you put about 100 miles on it.

Lobsterman - in Boston (of course)
    Last edited by Lobsterman; 19 March 2016 at 16:20. Reason: added info

Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero, 2004 9-5 Linear Wagon, 2007 9-3 Aero V6

great east fix

Mine were all cracked under magnifying glass.
    Attached Images Attached Images