Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    ' 06 9-5 Wagon

Question 9-5 Throttle Body

I have a '06 9-5 wagon 70k miles that has started to run a little rough. While it was in the shop a few weeks ago to replace an external thermometer( I didn't mention the rough operating as it was pretty minor at the time) my mechanic told me he thought the throttle body needed to be replaced. Since the car is starting to run more poorly now and this is $700 job, I wanted to investigate my options. (There is no Check Engine light nor any code at this point).
    Questions: 1). Is it possible that the throttle body just needs to be cleaned if there is no Check Engine light.2). Is it possible that the Electronic Position Sensor needs to be replaced only? 3). If it is either 1 or 2, would I still need to have the dealer reset the computer?
    btw. I replaced the DIC about 9 months ago. Thanks, Skowtown.
    Last edited by nordwulf; 01 January 2014 at 15:57. Reason: moved to 9-5 workshop forum

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    You need to post this in the 9 5 forum. Yes, you can clean out the TB and the MAF quite easily. The sensor you speak of is fine if your car is starting when hot.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    My 9-5 was running extremely rough a few weeks back, and was throwing three different Check Engine Lights. In two hours of work I removed the throttle body, cleaned real good with fuel injection cleaner, reinstalled it, and now it runs smooth and my gas mileage improved too. It cost me less than $10 to get it done. It's dirt simple to do it, and well worth a try.

Platonoff's site has a great write up on how to remove and install the throttle body: 06.10.2004: Saab 9-5 throttle body - photo.platonoff.com
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 ARC
    Rpiereck, thanks for your post. I have done carbs, does a TB have passages, springs, pilot jets or needles to be taken apart and cleaned? Does the fuel injection cleaner need scrubbing? Also is the fuel injection cleaner the same as one would add to the gas tank? Thanks

Saab(s)
    900 Turbo, 9-3 SE, 9-5 Aero
    I believe it's more like sensors that get dirty and mess with the signal to the computer which alters the way it runs, I think there are at least 2 sensors. I need to do my 03 Aero, the Platinoff site is very good for a lot of info on these cars.

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 ARC
    Thanks Aero

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Pali7, it is a lot simpler than a carburetor, and like most things made nowadays, not made to be disassembled. The fuel injector cleaner I bought as the same kind you pour into your tank, because it was on sale on my military base. I poured it on a cup, and used a plastic bristle brush and some rags to clean the inside of the throttle body, around the butterfly, which had visible amounts of oily residue built up. Just one point, however: there are two coolant lines attached to the throttle body for cold weather operation. I wanted to use some hose pincers to pinch the hoses and prevent loss of fluid but it couldn't be done. When I disconnected them I lost about a quart of coolant. Although the coolant wasn't hot enough to burn I won't say it was a pleasant experience getting it all over my hands. I would do it with the engine cool to the touch next time.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 ARC
    Thanks so much Rpiereck, also thanks for your service.