Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Jose Mateos
    it is what it is...... josemateos's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Linear/TDO4 swap Stg 2

Post Should I really change the oil twice before replacing Turbo??

1. Brief history: I've got a 2001 9-5, 235E, I have a turbochargerspro TD04 turbo to install (it came balanced, grinding marks and all), along with a ECU tuned my MPS (270 bhp, 300 ft lbs.) Only mods are the open air intake, I also bought the orange injectors as I was told I needed them. After doing research, it's looks like for 2001 they updated the injectors already so I will put them for sale if that's the case. In 2001 the pistons are already reinforced, lighter valves, nimonic exhaust valves, the larger cobra is on it, added MAP sensor, they added dual cats, ect.... Although 235Es pistons are flat causing a bit higher compression, I think the 160k miles on my car will have dropped my compression enough to compensate. I've done lots of research and that's all I have found that is different between the R and the E models after 2001 , concave vs flat pistons. Is this true, engine wise not suspension?
    2. I've read several threads regarding the Turbo change, most of them say to change the oil before the turbo replacement and some say in the middle of it. The WIS states to drain the oil, fill it up, run it til the thermostat kicks on, then drain the oil AGAIN and refill it. Seems to me this is overkill but I don't want to do any damage to the turbo what so ever!

3. I'm super excited, but was wondering if there is anything else I should do before I install the turbo? SHOULD I DRAIN THE OIL TWICE? HAS ANYONE JUST DRAINED IT ONCE AND HAD THEIR TURBO LAST?

4. I was also going to pull the hose off the intercooler, I've heard lots of oil gets stuck in there. I was told to pull the hose off the output side to the throttlebody, but to me it seems like it would be the input side that would have most of the oil? Does anyone know? I might add, my turbo isn't completely out. It will puff a bit of smoke every once in a while on start-up, BUT I have noticed that there is oil in in the charge pipe and the bottom of the cobra so I think I'm working with an original GT17 with 160k, but I can't say for sure.

5. Do I need to remove and clean anything else while I'm doing the turbo? I will be replacing the exhaust manifold studs as well as I noticed one of them broke in the head when I did the waterpump 2 wks ago. Wish I would've had my turbo then!!! Anyway, it is what it is. Your answers will be appreciated!!
    Saabfisticated people aren't just smart.....they're fast

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I personally wouldn't bother with draining the oil twice before changing the turbo. (That's just me...) I can't see too much (Mystery substance... No real definition to what this stops...) getting past the pick up and then the oil filter.... really if there is crud floating around past the oil filter something is terribly wrong!
    When I rebuilt my engine on the 04 9-5 I used a assembly lube that is allot like chain saw bar oil.... (Hmm) This was to lubricate all the moving parts on the first start before the oil got to the parts. (Made sense... right?)
    I used the same bar oil (assemble lube) in the turbo! Yes! In the Turbo. I didn't bother to change the oil twice after I blew the piston... The Turbo rebuild was done because I got a great deal on a kit ($37 Don't get a kit!) and I had time waiting for other parts to come in.
    I ran regular conventional oil in the car after the rebuild for..... I'm still running it after 700 km. I'll go to about 1000 km and change to synthetic.

As for timing of when to change the oil when doing a turbo change.... After seems smart.... Sure there will be some crud that gets loosened and falls into the oil lines...
    I'd change it after the turbo and use a bigger filter. If your worried change the filter after 100 miles or so. Keep the oil. There is nothing wrong with it unless it gets contaminated with coolant... Like in the picture... (I'm running new oil now not that. That was form my last head removal. I should have drained the oil before I took the head off....)
    Those are just my thoughts...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    I have never heard of this being done and I see no point to doing it. If there was a motor rebuild I like to run my "break in oil" or conventional oil for 500 miles and then check things - and drain and refill with synthetic if all looks good. If there is still debris I'd do another 1000 on conventional oil before switching to synthetic.

As per a turbo - I've always just changed the turbo and the oil at the same time and never looked back.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Jose Mateos
    it is what it is...... josemateos's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Linear/TDO4 swap Stg 2
    That's what I did Thx
    Saabfisticated people aren't just smart.....they're fast