Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Kenny
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 SAAB 9-5 Aero MT

Cool Alloy wheel restoration

17 Inch EVO - Saab 9-5 AERO
    It started off - chipped because of the elements- so I removed them and put the 5 star BBS 16x6 stock Saab rims. Name:  $(KGrHqN,!rEFHO,Bm2PTBR4CVF,2mQ~~60_35.jpg
Views: 1937
Size:  11.9 KB

Got Quoted about $730.00 to have them basically restored. I decided to stop being lazy and went to the Auto Part store and looked around for Wheel Paints. Expensive because its supposedly special wheel paint ( don't go by that). They didn't have anything that told me that this will resist the elements. So I looked in to Engine Paint\ Hi Temp paint (chemical resistance) - granted the cars wheels won't produce that much high heat from calipers unless I am in a track. Found this nice Black so I bought
    x4 Hi temp Black - x4 Hi Temp Clear (est. cost $48)

Self Etching Primer and x2 Filler Primer -- (est cost $18)

320, 800, 1000, 2000, 3000 grit pad ($24 - $32 depending where you buy it)
    (from 320 to 2000 all come in 5 packs buy one of each, for the 3000 buy only 2 packs because they sell them as singles)

Cone buff Wheel + Compound - $40

Bottle Paint thinner (cost $3.99)
    Room Temp of 60 -90 degree F

And here are the steps

Stage 1 - Sanding

Sand the rim down evenly using 320 Grit sand paper getting rid of any loose paint and aluminum molding ( don't be afraid to see a little metal.) Remember you don't have to sand the rim down to the metal you only have to sand it so the surface is even. Any minor scrapes or scratches will be taken care of in Stage 2. Use a "Block Sponge" while sanding the blades of the wheel so that the surface is even from center to the edge of the wheel. Once you have completed sanding all the Wheels down proceed to Stage 1.5

Stage 1.5

Washing the rims
    Use a Red Brillo pad and wash with dish washing detergent thoroughly. Rinse, and completely dry.

Stage 2 Primer

To start off - If you have any bare metal showing on the wheel your working on use the "Self Etching primer first.

On the bare metal spots spray 2 coats of "Self Etching Primer" 5 -10 min apart. Once done, grab one of the "Filler Primer" cans and start spraying the Wheel. 2 Coats of primer with in 30 min or each rim.
    Once complete proceed to Stage 2.5

Primer can be handled with in 1 hour

Stage 2.5 Wet Sanding

Wet Sanding - The purpose of wet sanding is to remove any little defect on the paint due to dust, over spray, or drips on the object you have painted. This will prep the primer for paint.

Using soap and water, "Wet Sand" with "800 Grit" sand paper evenly removing defects on the primer from over spray or dust. Use a "Sponge Block" to make sure the blade or the wheels are even.

Stage 3 Applying the Paint

Be sure that the surface is clean on the wheels before painting.
    Start with all the out edges and lips of the wheel. Next paint the outter edges of the blades. Then apply 2 coats of paint with in 45min.

The Wheel can be wet sanded with in 1.5 hours. !! BECAREFUL !!!PAINT STILL SOFT !! dont apply too much pressure - feather light sanding for those that have not wet sanded.

Stage 3.5 "Yet Again WET Sanding"

Using soap and water, "Wet Sand" with "1000 Grit" sand paper the wheel evenly removing defects on the paint from over spray or dust. Use a "Sponge Block" to make sure the blade or the wheels are even.

( If by any chance you over sand where you expose the primer, just after you finish wet sanding -dry the rim and add a coat of paint to the rim and re-due the wet sanding process after its dry)

Name:  20140101_202204.jpg
Views: 2109
Size:  40.6 KB

Stage 4 Clear Coat

Start with all the out edges and lips of the wheel. Next paint the out edges of the blades. Then apply 2 coats of clear coat paint with in 1 hour

Name:  20140104_082459.jpg
Views: 2540
Size:  37.7 KBName:  20140103_230055.jpg
Views: 1980
Size:  39.8 KB

(The ones
    on the bottom of the set of 4 have been cleared)

Stage 4.5 Wet Sanding

Using soap and water, "Wet Sand" with "2000 Grid" sand paper the wheel evenly removing defects on the paint from over spray or dust. Use a "Sponge Block" to make sure the blade or the wheels are even.

Stage 5 Final Stage of Clear Coat

Start with all the out edges and lips of the wheel. Next paint the out edges of the blades. Then apply 1 good coat of clear coat paint with in 1 hour

Stage 5.5 Wet Sanding

Using soap and water, "Wet Sand" with "3000 Grit" sand paper the wheel evenly removing defects on the paint from over spray or dust. Use your hand lightly to make sure the blade or the wheels are even.
    Using 3000 will make it look like glass after your done buffing.

Final Stage
    Apply buffing compound and buffing

Make sure surface is even, dry and smooth. Apply buffing compound on the surface of the wheel and use the cone buffer at a moderate speed. Be careful applying to much pressure buffing, you might burn into the paint.

UPDATE:

Will start Stage 4.5 this weekend.
    Last edited by Kenneth Pain; 07 January 2014 at 18:22. Reason: Update
    SAAB
    Keep Calm my friends
    and Apply BOOST

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    I will be doing something similar to the 17 inch Y-spoke wheels I bought yesterday for my Viggen CV. Saab and Volvo apparently both used Wurth brand silver paint on their alloy wheels and Wurth sells a complete wheel repair kit to touch up the paint and repair gouges. Price is around $100 for the two wheel kit so it will be much cheaper to use Dupli-color wheel silver or go the route you took if an owner needs to do all four wheels.

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 ARC
    You might want to check into powder coating, a much harder surface. If you have a shop with a 220, you can even do it yourself. It requires baking it in an oven, don't use your mom's or wife's oven.

Ivan
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero Sedan (R.I.P.), 2006 9-5 2.3T Sport, 2008 9-3 Aero SC
    I have my 10-spoke 17x7 Aero wheels plasti-dipped in matte-black (cost me $30/wheel for a shop to do it). Looks fantastic and is much more forgiving regarding brake dust. I'd post pics but they're in storage out-of-town for the winter.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Great write-up! As this applies to pretty much any alloy wheel for all Saab models, this thread is moved to the Tech Talk tutorial forum.

Kenny
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 SAAB 9-5 Aero MT

Cool

This is the results - sorry for the late update......Name:  20140514_082407.jpg
Views: 1781
Size:  44.4 KB

Cost less than Power Coating -

Better Protection than Original Coat from factory -

High Heat and chipping resistance - For the "HARD" Saab drivers with a 100 lbs. foot

Finished it with 3000 Grit for a mirror shine -

Hope this helps everyone -

Enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Kenneth Pain; 14 May 2014 at 12:59.
    SAAB
    Keep Calm my friends
    and Apply BOOST

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Arc
    Looks great on the car, love the color choice!
    #SwedeSpeed