Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Aero Sedan

2004 9-3 Aero Dash Lights Intermittently Stuck On

This is an odd one. It's NOT related to the ignition switch failing to release when pulling the key out. Every once in a while, when turning the car off, some of the dash lights (Radio buttons, clock, SID) stick on. Nothing else on the dash or anywhere in the car is lit, only these. The only way to resolve this I have found is to pull the #14 fuse (radio, sound system I, control panel) and put it back in. Symptoms go away for a while then within about 10 starts or so they come back. Seems to happen more when it's cold/damp out.

I think this might be related to the amp under the drivers seat. I know the amp has failed in terms of the front door speakers. They no longer work and it's not the speakers themselves. Other symptoms that cause me to suspect this amp are the fact that once in a while upon starting the car the SID will fail to display anything; then it eventually comes on. It seems like when this does happen then the dash lights stick on. I think it's somehow related but I can't find anything online to confirm. I've learned this AMP controls the SID somehow.

Before I go spend $400 on a remanufactured (and waterproofed!) amp, I want to know if this might fix the dash light problem. I can do without the front door speakers but the dash light issue is a real nuisance.

Maybe it's not the amp at all-- has anyone experienced this or know of it and are familiar with a fix??

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    As you apparently have noticed, are there "tons" of posts pertaining to 9-3 MY2003-2006 and wet / moisture regarding the AMPs under drivers seat.

Looking into the post No radio, no sid & no OBDconection you'll see descriptions of how the audio system works / do not work on the Optical-bus. Your valid observations / findings obviously points towards a component / unit failing on this bus, and a thrown Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) would point towards the culprit.

I agree with your thought that the AMP1 may be the prime suspect, based on gone speakers and the "cold/damp" observation. However is ICM the unit which communicates with the SID (on wires), and a (partially) failing ICM would have impact on the performance of the other units on the O-bus. So the ICM as well could be the problem.

Given no DTC can be provided, troubleshooting by omitting the AMP1 (or other units) from the bus could be an easy/cheap step. Note the Loopback Connector which could be a useful tool: SAAB Products.

Another approach, in an attempt to verify whether the AMP1 is the culprit - or not, is to bring it into a warm and dry area for a couple of days, thus note any change of the pattern of symptoms when it is reinstalled. Check for any signs of corrosion, and if feasible, open it and look for any signs of moisture or water having penetrated into it.
    Last edited by 9-3 Aero; 07 January 2014 at 11:09. Reason: Another approach

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Aero Sedan
    Good to know, and good idea about the loopback test for the amp. I'll reply to this post with what I find. Thanks!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Aero Sedan
    Replaced the battery about 2 weeks ago (dying a slow 3 month death) and not an episode since. Fingers crossed. I've heard about these cars being sensitive electronics wise but this is unreal. A slowly dying battery caused dash lights to intermittently stick on?? Hmmm... If anything changes I'll update this thread.

Food for thought (for now)-- change the battery!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Aero Sedan
    For those with similar problems note that this did NOT resolve any AMP issues. Only the issues with the SID and radio backlights.

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    An interesting finding. Weird.

The GLK we had was programmed to turn off circuits in a sequence when battery charge was getting below a limit. Started with the audio (not a big load ) and a message displayed: "Radio will in x minutes be shut off due to low battery charge".