Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Sarah
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 2.3t wagon, 2004 9-5 Sedan

Exclamation 1999 9-5 won't stay running....turbo revs several times then engine stalls.

Hi all....my precious 1999 9-5 Tar Baby with 184,000 miles crapped out on me today...drove it down the road and it started to hiccup in intervals...seconds apart then faster. I pulled over down the street and noticed the turbo was revving all by itself, then the engine would stall. I turned it around and tried to take it home but the revving got worse and it would stall, no power. I have no idea if the turbo has ever been replaced, is that what it needs? I tried searching but....anyone ever heard of that?

Kenny
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 SAAB 9-5 Aero MT
    Spear - You need to give me a bit more information. Answer these question for me please:

1. Is your Saab Automatic or Manual transmission
    2. Can you start the car? (Stays on and idles properly)
    3. Does this occur when you are driving (accelerating)
    4. Any smoke coming out of the exhaust? If so, what color? (white or blue ish)

Check a couple of thing for me please: (If the engine stays on )

1. Check for vacuum hose leaks? ( the Boost controller - bypass lines - Fuel pressure regulator line - etc.. everything with in the engine bay that uses vacuum rubber vacuum hoses )
    2. Check you Serp. belt - inspect it to see if the rubber is hard (has no rubbery feel to it)
    3. Check the exhaust manifold(where it meets the engine block) - inspect for signs of carbon leakage ( black stains coming thru the gasket)
    4. Test the voltage coming out of the alternator - whats the voltage?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
    SAAB
    Keep Calm my friends
    and Apply BOOST

Sarah
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    HI Ken. Its automatic. It does not stay on. The turbo revs from one end to the other about 5 times then the car dies. I tried to get the engine to catch/give me power to get home but it never could. It started when I was driving about a km from my house then became undriveable before the next km. This was the first time I started the car that day.

Luis R
    Saab(s)
    03' 9-5 Linear wagon
    When my auto took a slight dump it was the dump valve/ boost regulator. But I had a code for it. Do you have any codes?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero, 2002 9-5 wagon, 2007 9-3 Aero, '93 9000 CSE, 7 vintage Saabs
    I'm not sure I understand your description of your problem. You say the turbo is revving by itself. Being a 1999 if it's not an Aero it won't have a boost gauge. If the car feels like it's lurching or chugging there are a couple of possibilities. One is the fuel pump, the other is the crankshaft position sensor. When it does start and run is the check engine light on? This would give a clue, by reading the trouble code, of where to start looking.

Mark

Sarah
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Mark it has a turbo gauge...it says 2.3 T on the back of it so thats what I put.

Good news, it was a disconnected hose at the turbocharger...hubby says air supply.

I get freaked out over nothing...but the check engine light has been on since I bought it, maybe I can guilt him into fixing it. But the more it survives with it on the more he thinks its ok that way. 21,000 miles so far.
    Last edited by Spear; 12 January 2014 at 03:32.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    All 9-5's are turbocharged, whether they are 4 cyl or V6 cars. 1999 and 2000 just don't have a turbo gauge in the dash unless it were an Aero, maybe V6 does, I can't recall. Doesn't matter it's the CE light that tells you there are stored codes to read that will get you closer to the truth.

Sarah
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Thanks so much Mark. Now it has an oil leak and he won't let me drive it.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Got a second set of keys for the '04?? haha