Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Linear

Stage 1 Upgrade

Hey guys, been forever since I've been on. Thinking about doing a Stage 1 upgrade. Now I've read a lot and it seems that BSR is the way to go but wanted to know what everyone's thoughts on the MapTun was.
    MapTun Stage 1 Software Upgrade (State of Nine Remote Services) State of Nine

Seems to be much cheaper. Wondering if cheaper in this case means, you get what you pay for?

Thanks!!

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Having the BSR Stage 1 I may have thoughts regarding the MapTun vs. the BSR, however would I like to know what engine / hp is in your 9-3 to make an correct ("fair") comparison.

Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Linear
    I have the 2.0t.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    There are a lot of new players ans things to consider. No more sending in you ECU, just hook up at a meet and greet (saving some dollars) or getting a plug & play for around $600. New companies in the mid west are JZW, BCB, or Vtuner in the east and a host of others like Miked. A stage 1 will move you up about 30/40 horses.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckC View Post
    I have the 2.0t.
    With the low-pressure engine is the Maptune improvement of performance just a little sharper than BSRs, maybe most obvious with regard to torque over a band. The MapTuner device as well has a number of bonus features included, which the BSR PPC doesn't have.

With regard to "Wondering if cheaper in this case means, you get what you pay for" do I believe they are more or less equal.

Over here seems Maptune to be the most preferred with Hirsch (different way of tuning) as second most popular and then PPC.

BTW: BSR is running a discount campaign in these days.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Here Hirsch lost any advantage by waiting till Saab folded and left some dealers hanging with unused gear. Sadly the price is still the same at $1,200 but with no warranty protection gone is that advantage and the horsepower gain on the engines I was considering it was even more but considering you got less horsepower on the 2.8 (300 versus 320), and required a new Intercooler at considerable cost and labor time it came to over $1,500. With that gain of only 20 horsepower from 280 to 300 Hirsch overplayed their hand. I am very happy with the Vtuner work for only a few hundred dollars, a full thousand less than Hirsch was quoting. Living in Kansas City you could probably meet up with Brew City Boost or the JZW folks. Much of the high European prices reflect the stronger Euro but the best buys now are indeed domestic and BCB runs specials constantly. I spoke to a Hirsch authorized facility just days ago and even with the fallout from the bankruptcy, they haven't lowered the rate for a 2.0, it's $1,200 + 2 hours labor and an additional 2 hours labor if you want it off.

Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Linear
    I actually found BCB in my search, and thought because they were so cheap..... I would be getting a lesser product. I will certainly check them out. I'm probably not going to be able to afford anything over $800ish. I wanted to find a product that promised AND provided the increase in HP without breaking the bank. I love the 2.0t and can only imagine what an increase in HP will do for the excitement of the drive. Plus potentially increasing gas mileage.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    PM sent Chuck

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    I have been VERY happy with Mike's tune via Tuning by MPS. I know dozens of others who have used him and each have nothing but great things to say about him.
    http://saabworld.net/f222/ecu-tuning-tuning-mps-28869/

I'd give him a shout and see what you think.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckC View Post
    Plus potentially increasing gas mileage.
    Gas mileage is a rather complex story. The empirical mileage from the MY2000 9-5 we had, 2.0t 150hp, stage 1 (215hp/353Nm!) was approx. 10% increase on highway, 0% mixed and 20% decreased city (living in a hilly area, being "lightfooted on the pedal").

Enjoy!