Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Ivan
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero Sedan (R.I.P.), 2006 9-5 2.3T Sport, 2008 9-3 Aero SC
    Thumbs Up:   0

Misfire issue

So, I've noticed that I'm getting a lot of misfires, but there is no MIL on and no faults are stored in the ECU. I also haven't noticed anything different about the way the car drives.

How do I know I'm getting misfires? I have the Stage 1 ECU tune (thanks to a solid reference from SaabScott) with OpenSID. I'm able to see when the engine is misfiring thanks to the information available to me via OpenSID.

The misfires have not happened at startup nor under load. They're happening only while decelerating with my foot completely off the throttle.

As the car has ~120,000 km, it's obviously time for a tune-up. My "family mechanic" (who's changed or helped me change my thermostat, temp. sensor, rotors and pads so far - what's up with the humongous E-torx required for this?) suggests that we replace spark plugs, air and fuel filters, and inspect the DIC. I also have a leaky valve cover that we'll be replacing as well. Any other suggestions from seasoned veterans?

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero, 2002 9-5 wagon, 2007 9-3 Aero, '93 9000 CSE, 7 vintage Saabs
    You didn't specify what engine is in your 9-5. I'm assuming it's a 2.3L in which case it is paramount you use the CORRECT OE NGK spark plugs. PFR6H-10 is the plug number (or 6290 is the Canadian short number from NGK). Unless combustion detection codes are being stored there is probably no issue with the DI cassette. That's where I'd start with your issue. I have seen some horsepower upgrades set misfire codes.

Mark

0 Not allowed!

Ivan
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero Sedan (R.I.P.), 2006 9-5 2.3T Sport, 2008 9-3 Aero SC
    Thanks for the reply Mark. I actually started another thread about sparkplugs because the FAQ section states 2 different plugs for the B235R engine. I have a 2003 Aero.

0 Not allowed!