Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Desmond Khoo
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.0t

DIC oil leak

Changed my plugs today as part of the regular servicing. As held the DIC momentarily upside down to apply the dielectric grease, there was some oil that came out from the DIC where the plastic part joins the metal portion. Wiped all the oil off and plugged back the DIC. Left it in the engine for a while ~ about 20mins or so (the right side up) and fired up the car. Car seems to be working well, no misfires or CEL codes yet.

Is this a sign of a failing DIC? Should I continue to use it? Also there was a slight crack but there's no oil leaking from there.

The car is a 2006 with 160k kms.
    Last edited by walawala; 17 January 2014 at 13:15. Reason: added more info

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero, 2002 9-5 wagon, 2007 9-3 Aero, '93 9000 CSE, 7 vintage Saabs
    Inside each of the four coils there is cooling oil. With little or no cooling oil your DI cassette will fail. I would carry a spare.

Mark

Desmond Khoo
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.0t
    Thanks for the response mark, but my wife uses the car and she's not really the kind that will get her hands dirty if the DIC decides to fail.

Check the DIC today again to see if it had leaked while the car was running the past 3 days. No oil stains around the plugs/valve cover. However when i turn it upside down at an angle it starts to slowly leak between cylinder 3 and 4 again. Here are some pics on where it leaks and where the crack is (i wiped the oil away so but the oil stains are there). It's leaking just above the crack from the joint between the plastic and metal parts, not the crack itself. I replaced the DIC anyway as my wife uses the car. Is the DIC still okay to be used? Probably better to keep it as a spare now?

It's a 2010 DIC. Premature failure?

Luis R
    Saab(s)
    03' 9-5 Linear wagon
    There are mini generators in the DIC...they use viscous fluid to cool them down. U can use as spare but you should NEVER hold them upside down. Always right side up and look from elevated height. Looks to me that it was just starting to leak so maybe remove the plastic cover, see what you got and see if another cover can be fitted.