Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 T 2.0L Sedan

'06 Saab 9-3T "common problems" requesting assistance.

Hi everybody I just bought this Saab from a really dishonest owner. When I test drove it seemed fine, but the owner “neglected” to tell me about the issues with the car. I have been scouring the internet and forums for similar issues, but not luck. I may have bought a lemon, but I am not willing to give up on it yet. PLEASE Help!

The Car is a 2006 9-3 T 2.0L Sedan | Engine is a B207R
    94,000 Km | premium gas (obviously)
    Over the past 3 months I have noticed the following (the first problem is the most urgent):

1. Upon start up and driving, the Car will be slow to accelerate between ~ 10-50km/hr… not as noticeable at higher speeds. This happens extremely randomly, it could happen every second time I drive the car. It could be once a month, it could be when the weather is cold or hot outside. Doesn’t matter. Just randomly | No Check engine light ever. In Parallel, the cruise control seems to not function.

Notes: Since then, I drove it to a specialized Saab mechanic in Edmonton and he pulled the codes of the car, sprayed the wire harness that connects to the throttle body. And said that “it is a common problem and usually one has to replace the Throttle body (which cost about 700$ for the part alone)… however it’s uncommon that it was strange that the engine light didn’t come on..?” Since he sprayed the wiring harness, the car was fine for about a week, until it happened again. When I read some of the forms they said that throttle body could be dirty with a carbon buildup on the inside, preventing the butterfly from opening and closing properly. So I went to clean it and it with a white rag and CRC Throttle body cleaner… and the TB looked brand new!, nothing came out on my white rag… (I did notice a GM logo on it, so I am not sure if it was replaced or not)
    o Since I bought the car, this has happened maybe 20-30% of the times that I am driving the car (50 times or so)
    o Another mechanic said it might be the Turbo, but I am not sure about that.
    o Another Forum said it was a hose off a T connection that has a crack in it and connects to the engine, but he didn’t post any other information, and I quickly looked for this hose and crack, and I couldn’t seem to find anything.

2. Gas gauge shows empty when I fill up the car.
    o It does go back to full after about 100km of driving.
    o Does anybody know the exact problem is and if anyone can point me to a DIY for this?

3. Turing on the A/C and or the internal circulation button on, I will hear loud clicking sounds from the glove box area. It sounds like a bunch of plastic broken gears that are slipping. It stops after 5-10 seconds. Again, does anybody know the problem, parts I need, and know of DIY for this problem?

CODES:
    P152300
    P213500
    P046300
    …………other than that the car is perfect… Thanks in advance for your help

Dan

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Quote Originally Posted by dfarid View Post
    Hi everybody I just bought this Saab from a really dishonest owner. When I test drove it seemed fine, but the owner “neglected” to tell me about the issues with the car. I have been scouring the internet and forums for similar issues, but not luck. I may have bought a lemon, but I am not willing to give up on it yet. PLEASE Help!

The Car is a 2006 9-3 T 2.0L Sedan | Engine is a B207R
    94,000 Km | premium gas (obviously)
    Over the past 3 months I have noticed the following (the first problem is the most urgent):

1. Upon start up and driving, the Car will be slow to accelerate between ~ 10-50km/hr… not as noticeable at higher speeds. This happens extremely randomly, it could happen every second time I drive the car. It could be once a month, it could be when the weather is cold or hot outside. Doesn’t matter. Just randomly | No Check engine light ever. In Parallel, the cruise control seems to not function.

Notes: Since then, I drove it to a specialized Saab mechanic in Edmonton and he pulled the codes of the car, sprayed the wire harness that connects to the throttle body. And said that “it is a common problem and usually one has to replace the Throttle body (which cost about 700$ for the part alone)… however it’s uncommon that it was strange that the engine light didn’t come on..?” Since he sprayed the wiring harness, the car was fine for about a week, until it happened again. When I read some of the forms they said that throttle body could be dirty with a carbon buildup on the inside, preventing the butterfly from opening and closing properly. So I went to clean it and it with a white rag and CRC Throttle body cleaner… and the TB looked brand new!, nothing came out on my white rag… (I did notice a GM logo on it, so I am not sure if it was replaced or not)
    o Since I bought the car, this has happened maybe 20-30% of the times that I am driving the car (50 times or so)
    o Another mechanic said it might be the Turbo, but I am not sure about that.
    o Another Forum said it was a hose off a T connection that has a crack in it and connects to the engine, but he didn’t post any other information, and I quickly looked for this hose and crack, and I couldn’t seem to find anything.

o It does go back to full after about 100km of driving.
    o Does anybody know the exact problem is and if anyone can point me to a DIY for this?

3. Turing on the A/C and or the internal circulation button on, I will hear loud clicking sounds from the glove box area. It sounds like a bunch of plastic broken gears that are slipping. It stops after 5-10 seconds. Again, does anybody know the problem, parts I need, and know of DIY for this problem?

CODES:
    P152300
    P213500
    P046300

Dan
    See here also - http://saabworld.net/f8/saab-9-3-buyers-guide-24606/

Requires a new level sensor - COMON failure item. Part is about $60 and labor about 3 hours x shop rate. Gas tank must be lowered and fuel pump extracted.

Recirculation flap motor is bad - needs a new one. About $200-$300 installed.

CODES:
    P152300
    - NOT a US spec Fault - sounds like it could require a new throttle body.
    P213500 -Throttle Position sensor fault - see above.
    P046300 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input - needs a level sensor.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Quote Originally Posted by dfarid View Post
    CODES:
    P152300
    P213500
    P046300

Dan
    Supplementary information with regard to DTC P1523 00: "Throttle Mechanical, Throttle Default Position Fault. Cruise Control not working."