Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)

Billionaires drive VW Beetles to McLarens: What would you drive?

Money is relative. If one has $2M, they may think of themselves as rich but that might be good enough only for a $30,000-$60,000 per year retirement nest egg, depending on how long you want it to last. $2M pales in comparison to $100M. $100M pales in comparison to $500M. Even $1B is nothing compared to $50B.

Anyway, with x number of millions or billions, what do others drive?

Cars just like us: Everyday rides of billionaires - MSN Autos

Oprah - Volkswagen Beetle
    Eric Schmidt of Google - Toyota Prius
    Mr. Facebook - Acura TSX
    oil man T. Boone Pickens - Honda Civic (really???)
    Warren Buffett - Cadillac DTS
    Microsoft's Steve Ballmer - Ford Fusion
    Amazon's Jeff Bezos - 1988 Chevrolet Blazer (but spends billions to keep it out of the junkyard and in running condition )

but also...

Bill Gates - specially imported Porsche 959 and lobbied for legislation to allow importation of these kind of cars
    Larry Ellison - McLaren F1
    Donald Trump - Mercedes SLR

The late Sam "Walmart" Walton drove a pickup truck. To me, that's going a little too far, along with Oprah's VW and Jeff Bezos' Chevy Blazer. Still, with more money, I think my auto tastes would remain about the same, at most replacing the tires early or getting a few more options when buying a car. Only when the level approaches hundreds of millions and a few billion, then safety against mobsters and terrorists becomes important, at which time driving may have to be limited to a closed course.

Too bad new Saabs are no longer sold in the U.S. (aside from a few 2011 leftovers at Bluegrass in Louisville, ). Saabs are soon to be in the used car only market and the sentimental market, but no longer in the new car market. The nice thing of the car is that it's fairly well designed and is at the peak of value for your money. Cars like the McLaren are much more expensive but don't offer that much more and, in some areas, offer less for your money. Try finding a spare tire for that in Kearney, Nebraska or Florence, South Carolina...instead, you would be stranded and waiting for a taxi.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 95 4 banger
    Mark Zuckerberg "mr. Facebook" also crashed his Mclaren F1 (roughly $10-15m) so I wouldn't say he's one for the bargain cars...

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Mr. Apple was fond of Mercedes and usually parked his SL in the handicapped parking spot in front of the Apple offices. Mr. Ikea drove an old Volvo 240. Not sure what he is worth these days..

I probably would get something German in 2-door coupe shape. For the weekends something Italian and perhaps a big SUV as well. And many youngtimers like an early M5 and other fun cars. But I would keep my 9-5 because that will be a youngtimer soon.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by saab--story View Post
    Mark Zuckerberg "mr. Facebook" also crashed his Mclaren F1 (roughly $10-15m) so I wouldn't say he's one for the bargain cars...
    About a year or two ago, I read that he drove an Acura TSX so it seems that he is starting to spend money!

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    2012, 95 Aero
    Well, as I don't know any B$ I can't say what they drive but I do remember a local farmer (rich and daft!) struggling to get some ewes into the back of his new RR.
    Soon afterwards saw the 'L' plates on the replacement RR for his daughter to learn to drive in!
    Different worlds or what?
    TTFN