Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    900 coupe 1997

purchase possibility - wagon

Hello everyone, this is my first post,

I recently purchased a white 1997 5 speed manual 900 2.0 litre non turbo with all leather black interior, and so far I love it.
    Now I would like to purchase a saab wagon for my wife.

The only one near me is

A 2000 9-5 with velour interior
    2.0 litre
    Recently replaced turbo and desludge (by the owner who states he is a mechanic)
    Air con not working (could just need regas, not sure)
    Doesn't seem to have ever been in an accident
    1 oil leak from underneath
    1 Pixel out on trip computer
    Hi-bulb error shows without blown bulb

Has no rego or road worthy certificate,
    I test drove it and it didn't clunk or make ugly noises and seemed to change well and brake o.k.

My concerns are that it makes a rattle from the right side of the crankcase (near the drivebelt)
    The cooling system is filled with brown sludge
    The owner states he transferred the car into his name 6 weeks ago without a R.W.C as Vic roads allow 3 months for you to provide a r.w ( I have never heard of this).
    When looking at the dipstick, blue fumes are very evident (owner says this is a sign of a good pcv)

Car is for sale at $1500 or nearest offer,

Question: Should I buy this car?
    My heart wants it, my brain says no

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    If your head says no, then maybe compromise. Tell the seller that you are very concerned about buying the car so you decline. Then contact him in a week and offer him $500. You might add that the offer is not meant to insult him but you have much concern over the condition of the car. I have some doubts, too.

Saab(s)
    900 coupe 1997
    Thanks Dave T,

I have decided to go with my head, the sludgy brown coolant, the fumes from the crankcase and the rattle from the top end really sealed it.

But it drove great. Darn

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Used cars are often a difficult decision and it depends on the risk you want to take. It doesn't necessarily sound like a bad car.

Do you know why he is selling it after 6 weeks? Ask how he de-sludged the engine and if he has any pictures. Unless he deals in cars, it sounds like he knows more than he is willing to share.

When the A/C doesn't work, it is most likely it needs more than a recharge. The refrigerant had to leak from somewhere.

How much oil does it leak?

Pixels out on the trip computer are common and is not a very expensive repair. The bulb error doesn't sound a big deal either.

A rattle from the engine could be the timing chain tensioner getting a bit worn or the chain is getting older. How many miles are on the car? This is common for the 2.3 engine, not sure about the 2.0. Could also be worn out pulleys that need to be replaced. Not a big deal.

Brown sludge in coolant is a concern. Is it oil or just old coolant that needs to be replaced? I have drained some nasty looking coolant from my 9-5 before.

When you say blue fumes are evident, do you mean this is coming from the dipstick tube?

You get a good feeling about the car which is always a very good start. It is a 15-old car and you won't find the perfect 9-5 at that age. If everything else checks out, perhaps it makes sense to take the risk for now and perhaps have the engine replaced at some point in the future.

Saab(s)
    900 coupe 1997
    Thanks for the advice Frank,

The fumes are coming from the dipstick,

The car has 140, 000k on the clock but looks like it has not been well cared for.

The coolant sludge is old coolant, thick brown mud.

As this car is for my daughter and wife I do not want a broken chain when travelling.

It seems to me that I would be better of buying a saab that has been well looked ater (the books on this show servicing once every 12-18 months, and from inconsistent mechanics)

and a car that has working air-con rather than trying to fix it myself.

I could put money into this and get it on the road for $3500 or pay for a well cared example for $5000, I think I will keep saving up and hope to find a car from someone who is being open with me. Cheers.