Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 2-3 2.0t

Windshield Wiper Problem

My wipers hadn't been parking correctly for a few months. This past week they stopped working completely. I could hear the motor whirring, but no wiper movement.

I ordered a new motor and installed it. The part came as only a motor (no new linkage).

The motor seems fine but it isn't moving the linkage. The part where they connect is rotating but the linkage isn't moving along with it. It's as if it's stripped or not catching properly. The nut just rotates freely, no matter how tight I tighten it. However, if I put a small bit of upward or downward pressure on the linkage it catches properly and starts moving.

Do you folks know what my options are at this point? Is it possible I put the linkage back together incorrectly? Do I simply need a new linkage? Is there something where the linkage connects to the wiper motor that could have been stripped? Any info you can offer or point me towards would be greatly appreciated.

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Based on the test you've done with regard to compression on the linkage, and assessment, I would say that the part of the linkage which connects to the shaft of the motor is stripped. Did you inspect the condition of the "teeth", or note metal debris in the shaft area of the motor?

The issue with the parking can be an indication of degradation over time, until the "teeth" finally became grinded to a level which caused permanent loss of grip/connection. And beyond that point am I afraid there is no other permanent remedy other than replacement of the linkage.

I don't think you've put the linkage back together incorrectly - with the "upward or downward pressure test" on my mind.

The above given that the new motor is the correct P/N for your 9-3 (not 2-3, I persume? )

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 2-3 2.0t
    Quote Originally Posted by 9-3 Aero View Post
    Based on the test you've done with regard to compression on the linkage, and assessment, I would say that the part of the linkage which connects to the shaft of the motor is stripped. Did you inspect the condition of the "teeth", or note metal debris in the shaft area of the motor?

The issue with the parking can be an indication of degradation over time, until the "teeth" finally became grinded to a level which caused permanent loss of grip/connection. And beyond that point am I afraid there is no other permanent remedy other than replacement of the linkage.

I don't think you've put the linkage back together incorrectly - with the "upward or downward pressure test" on my mind.

The above given that the new motor is the correct P/N for your 9-3 (not 2-3, I persume? )
    Thanks very much for the reply. I think you're right, though I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace the linkage. I just checked the old motor and I could see some very small metal chips, but nothing substantial. At the same time, all the evidence points to the teeth on the transmission being stripped since that was the issue I was having before I replaced the motor.

I also checked the new motor and I got part #A1432931 from here: A1 Cardone 43-2931 Wiper Motor | Auto Parts Warehouse

Does that look right to you?

I'm thinking I'll get an aftermarket linkage from the UK, probably this one: Neo Brothers - Saab 9-3 Sport Wiper Linkage/Mechanism - 12757154

Does that seem like a good idea? It's cheaper to get this aftermarket linkage shipped from the UK to Canada than to buy one here.

Saab(s)
    Hi akina.

Whether the AutoParts Warehouse wiper motor is correct or not, is a kind of hard to tell, by only following the "shop by vehicle". This because there is not given any cross reference to the OEM P/N, which is 12757153, given your Saab is a 9-3 - and LHD . So an approach would be go for a linkage, and then, just if that doesn't work out, look into the motor again.

The P/N for the Neo Brothers linkage is correct, and in accordance with the OEM P/N.

A dismantlers WEB-shop - just FYI: Bildelsbasen.se, Bildelsbasen.se - Used auto / car parts

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 2-3 2.0t
    Ok will do, thanks again 9-3 Aero. Will update once I get the new linkage in.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 2-3 2.0t
    Hi again. So it turns it out was the splined connection between the wiper motor and the wiper linkage. Specifically, the splines on the wiper linkage had worn down and were no longer holding on to the motor.

I ordered a new transmission and gave it to my mechanic to replace it, but the new linkage was not splined... it was just a smooth, tapered hole. He said this was a manufacturing defect and instead of replacing the old part with the new part, just repaired the old part by fixing the splines and using an extra washer to get a tight fit.

I called the parts supplier and they insist that the part is not supposed to be splined - that it is soft metal and the splines are created by the hardened steel wiper motor shaft. Does this sound right to you? My mechanic doesn't think this is right, but I'm not sure at this point.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Saab(s)
    Sorry to hear the outcome with regard to the linkage from Neo Brothers.

Looking at an enlarged EPC drawing of the windshield wiper system, it looks to me as the motorshaft part, to which the linkaged is to be fitted, is splined and cylindrical - not a conical. From this the counterpart on the linkage should be in accordance with that, which unfortunately is not clear on the drawing. I suppose you, by looking at the removed motor can confirm the shape of the part of motorshaft in question.

Did you note whether the hole in the old linkage, where the motor shaft goes to, is conical or not? What about the new linkage?

Neo Brothers have over here a fair reputation with regard to spares for Saab, however looking at their web again I note, quote: "[FONT=arial]Aftermarket Saab Wiper Linkage/Mechanism (12757154), which will fit[/FONT]". The OEM P/N is correct, but the question is: what is the meaning of the term aftermarket in this respect?

So I agree with your mechanic, given the motor shaft is cylindrical, splined, the counterpart hole in the linkage should be as well - at least with regard to OEM parts. Aftermarket parts may be another story.
    Last edited by 9-3 Aero; 15 March 2014 at 21:15. Reason: EPC, not WIS

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 2-3 2.0t
    Thanks again for your reply, 9-3 Aero.

The part actually wasn't from Neo Brothers after all. I was going to order from them, but didn't have the extra time it would have taken to ship from UK to Canada. I ended up ordering the part from EEuroparts, an American website.

You're right, just like in the EPC diagram, the motorshaft is cylindrical and splined. The hole in the old linkage didn't seem to be tapered at all, while the new linkage is slightly tapered.

I guess what happened was the South Korean company making the "Genuine Saab" linkage decided to change their manufacturing methods to save a few bucks. It may have even worked had I tried to install it, but my mechanic said it wasn't worth trying and he managed to fix my old one in fairly short order. It's holding quite well and I don't expect I'll have an issue with it for at least 2 or 3 years (especially if I clear the heaviest snow and ice by hand before using the wipers!).

Regardless, it seems the company is not willing to take the part back at their cost, so I'll have to ship it back and end up losing almost $60 for my trouble. At least I know better than to order from them in the future, and it is probably a net gain anyway as the part is worth about $120.

Thanks again for all your help with this! The car's wiper system is now as good as new.

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akina View Post
    (especially if I clear the heaviest snow and ice by hand before using the wipers!).
    With snow 6 months+ a year in this area the smart guys do that - which we, the lesser smart don't

Cheers!