Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Jose Mateos
    it is what it is...... josemateos's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Linear/TDO4 swap Stg 2

Car is missing! Any other idea?

Wondering what is causing it.....I recently did a turbo swap to td04 and got a tune to 270 up from Mike @ MPS (shout-out)...my pcv valve was bad and plugs were fouling fast. I thought the plugs were the issue installed new valve, changed plugs, and still missing! DI is only about 1.5 yrs old and u don't have access to one...unless someone lives near kc and would be willing to let me swap them out real quick:-)? Coil packs look good. Installing new fuel pump and 3.5 bar FPR this weekend but I'd like to know if anyone else has an idea of what might be causing the miss. It's not noticeably bad, most people couldn't tell, but if I'm in neutral and keep throttle at a steady 2200 or > RPMs I can really feel it. It's really bothering me. Its an 2001 linear w/ TD04 and tune. I ordered new throttle body gaskets and will be cleaning the TB in next couple weeks. Any other ideas? Thx!
    Saabfisticated people aren't just smart.....they're fast

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Likely the DI got angry and is failing. I have a few good used ones for sale still. $80 SHIPPED. Tested and Guaranteed not DOA.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Jose Mateos
    Saab(s)
    Thx Burnside! I'm going to do some diagnosing this weekend change the fuel pump I've got to do some work on my other car is well I should be getting my throttle body gasket tomorrow if I clean that out and still missing I will definitely buy one of your DICs....$80 shipped sounds like a good deal thanks

Jose Mateos
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    Likely the DI got angry and is failing. I have a few good used ones for sale still. $80 SHIPPED. Tested and Guaranteed not DOA.
    Burnside-I changed my plugs...that always seems to help a bit of missing. I've been running the 7ES NGKs per Mike D's suggestion. I have a few sets of 6ES laying around that I've thought of installing just to see how it runs. I guess the 6ES are actually hotter...I would think hotter plugs for bigger turbo would be better????but OEM specs suggest otherwise. Also I've been running 93 instead of 91, that seems to help, although its not real noticeable. I was told to run 93 in all tuned turbo cars. Anyways, I was wondering if you still had any DICs? Mine was new @ 132k, now I'm at 175k....I still haven't cleaned the throttle body...think that may help as well. The miss isn't always there and a normal person wouldn't notice it...BUT every once in a while if I'm idling and keep it @ steady 4k RPMs I can feel a miss. Not often but sometimes....no CELs but I still think it would be nice to have an extra DIC in the trunk just in case. PM or just reply letting me know. Thx!!

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    yes - shoot me an e-mail. burnsside42 AT gmail.com
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Make sure the DIC is OE. There are a few aftermarket companies making them, specifically ones from China, that cause issues once installed . I went through 3 in my 2002 9-3 Viggen only to have the 4th be a Saab OE part and my engine skip went away .Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413135542.552811.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  50.8 KB

Jose Mateos
    Saab(s)
    Scott, thx I know they tend to break a lot, mine was replaced at 132k right before I bought the vehicle.

Burnside, sent you an email, Plz confirm price and whether they are confirmed good/tested. I don’t need one right now as I think mine is fine but thought it would be good to have one on hand for diagnosing. This morning my car died right after I started it. I was thinking I should clean the throttle body, I’ve had a gasket for several months and haven’t done it yet. It did it this morning then again at lunch. Right when I started RPMs dropped and it died, then the second turnover it ran like normal although I can hear the lifters a lot….I also switched from 93 to 91 and that could be part of it…I’ve been running M1 0w-40 which was an improvement over M1 5w-30, regarding lifter noise, but thinking I might switch to Rotella T6 5W-40 and see how she sounds. It’s an 2001 9-5 Linear with TD04 swap and tuned. I’ve gone thru three fuel pumps in 2.5 yrs, 1st I swapped to Walrboro 341, that somehow fried my wiring…then I ordered a whole proparts assembly, it died on me in a month, so I got a replacement for free….I’m hoping it didn’t die as well…if so I’ll probably put the Walboro 340 I have on my toolbench in the assembly….luckily pump is super easy to change…..after you’ve done it once.
    I keep maintenance up to a tee and have changed just about everything on this car, it seems it’s all I do anymore, not because it’s broke but more because I love it so much. Just did all new suspension last weekend and it’ s drives like a new car…I was going to swap to aero springs and struts but just had another baby so I just replaced the dampers, ball joints, and sway bar end links. Anyways, let me know on DIC and if you have any ideas on why she’s dying besides a TB cleaning. I just checked my vacuum lines at lunch they’re good. thx!

EDIT: Just wanted to also ask if I really needed to remover the TB to clean it or if I can just take some carb cleaner and rag to it while it's still on the car. I could see how it might make it easier to clean and possibly a bit more thorough, but was going to do a quick clean after work today and wife is already mad at me for spending all last weekend replacing suspension. Thx