Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    same as above.
    Saab(s)
    Previous: 2003 9-5 Linear 2.3t | Want: Saab 9-3 Wagon

Engine cut out after ignition

So this just started happening today. I start my car, and when it completes the ignition cycle, the engine seems to just cut itself out. However, if after the starter stops I apply some gas, the engine will stay running. There has been similar occurrences where the engine will stay running after ignition, but drop to around 400 RPM then come back up to normal after about half a second.
    Taking it to get looked at tomorrow and probably leave it at the shop so I can have them replace the front suspension bushings as well.
    Any thoughts on what it might be?

Saab(s)
    1994 9000 Aero, 1999 9-5, 1975 Saab 99 EMS
    Perhaps cleaning the throttle body would help with this? It may be sticking, or having trouble finding it's idle sweet spot.

Desmond Khoo
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.0t
    Cleaning the throttle body will help.

Also do check that your cooling system is working fine.

After i cleaned my throttle it improved, but was never really gone. I replaced temperature sensor, plugs and CPS and it was still cutting out after ignition. Then I fixed my broken and leaking expansion tank, and replaced the cap and thermostat. Something was telling me my car's cooling system was acting up as there was alot of pressure when i released the cap. Now i think it's solved so far....

I read somewhere in the WIS that the ECU reads water temperature to inject how much fuel during startup.

So i would suggest cleaning throttle body, then if it doesn't help, take a look at your cooling system.

Oh...and this problem was happening with the engine hot.