Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    currently looking
    Thumbs Up:   0

Engine cut off while driving; intermitten surging while idling?

Title is fairly self explanatory but here are a few other notes to help: just bought the vehicle tonight. This is the V6 wagon and has been well maintaned including regular synthetic oil changes. The motor runs quitely and performs well, except for the surging of course. When I first started it up there were no problems and it idled normally. I took it for a drive and there were no acceleration issues that were apparent. When I got back and then raised the hood, we noticed it started to surge; it would act as if it was idling down to the point of cutting off and then would pick back up again. It did this for the majority of the time (3-5) minutes we were looking at it and then seemed to go away. I drove the car home with no problems and accelerated aggresively getting onto the interstate also with no issues. The owner told me when his daughter drove it a month ago the car just cut off while she was driving and they had it towed. The mechanic they used thought it was the alternator, so they had that replaced and it has done it once more since then? I'm sure someone here will have a good thought as to what this may be and look forward to hearing your feedback. Oh, there is a check engine light on also, but the mechanic they have been using does not have the equipment to read the code/s. Would it be best to take it somewhere and have that read first?

0 Not allowed!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Thumbs Up:   75
    A mechanic that doesn't not have an OBD II reader that can be bought on Amazon for $20? Or does he think he needs a Tech2 to read engine light codes?

Most parts stores will let you borrow their reader or will check the code for you. Without the code, it is pretty much guessing.

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    currently looking
    Thank you Frank; does seem odd, but from what the fellow who I bought it from told me the mechanic said his device would not bring up that code and said it required a factory type reader? I'm not familiar with any of this so that was my reason for inquiring here. Maybe I need to purchase a reader myself.

0 Not allowed!

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    I bought the obdII reader from Harbor Freight and it works perfectly fine. Some codes it gives you are manufacturer specific, but then you just look them up on this site or do a google search. If the engine light is on, an obdII reader will show you the code, and in my experience, lead you to solving the problem

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    currently looking
    Ok, took the car to a known repair shop specializing in Saab/Volvo to have it scanned; it ran $45 and was very worthwhile to me to have the experience to go go along with the findings. Turned out to be the "absolute pressure sensor" as to two of the codes and was told that was the main problem; the other code related to misfire and could possibly be the ignition module cassettes. It would be nice to have the scanner, however, I would imagine the factory Saab unit would have more thorough information?
    Thanks for the insights.

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    currently looking
    Ok, related question; in researching the replacement part for the absolute pressure switch, I found part number 5556-3262 to replace 9197948. The new part has a little different design so I'm questioning whether this is correct or not? I would appreciate any feedback.
    Thanks, Dan

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherDan View Post
    Ok, related question; in researching the replacement part for the absolute pressure switch, I found part number 5556-3262 to replace 9197948. The new part has a little different design so I'm questioning whether this is correct or not? I would appreciate any feedback.
    Thanks, Dan
    https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/292...nsor-55563262/
    I found a genuine part here, not particularly cheap though. I haven't replaced this part yet so I'm not sure if any cheaper options are as good

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    currently looking
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMediocre View Post
    https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/292...nsor-55563262/
    I found a genuine part here, not particularly cheap though. I haven't replaced this part yet so I'm not sure if any cheaper options are as good
    That's interesting: The part supplied by the supplier you referenced is what the sensor that came out of my car looks like but shares the same number as the one I'm referencing below which is the style I received. Is one an earlier design and are both types functional in the same application?

saab absolute pressure - Bing Bilder

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    My hunch is that both parts will work the same. I've seen parts differ in appearance before, it depends on which manufacturer they came from. What I've been doing so far, with luck is if there is a genuine saab part available, I use it. I accepted the fact that parts would be more expensive when I bought the car.

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    currently looking
    I was thinking this was a factory Saab part and purchased it from:
    Charge Air Pressure Sensor (01-02+03CV 9-3, 99-03 9-5 V6)[55563262]

0 Not allowed!