Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t manual

Timing chain replacement

Hey guys, I was thinking about replacing the timing chain in my 1999 9-5 (2.3l). I was wondering if anyone has a tutorial on how should that replacement be performed. I'd also like to know what else needs to be changed when the timing chain is changed.

Thanks,
    Dan

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Instructions from the WIS can be found here: http://saabworld.net/f29/timing-chai...aab-9-5-a-757/

eEuroparts sells a kit with everything that is needed so that is probably the easiest: 93184480 Genuine SAAB - Timing and Balance Kit - Free Shipping

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t manual
    Hi Frank. Thanks for quick reply. I will definitely use the eeuro part timing and balance kit, but WIS instructions don't really make things clear. Since I am a beginner, I would need step-by-step instructions in order to do this on my own. I was looking through various YouTube videos, and I actually found one (changing the balance chain) but it was done with the engine already out of the car. So if I need to take the engine out in order to change both chains and everything else, I'd need to see how to take the engine, and then how to access the chains.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    You can do it in the car, but not as a beginner. It takes a lot of prior knowledge to do it right.

Mathieu Verberne
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5
    I would also not recommend changing the timing chain as a beginner. Start by doing this with a experienced mechanic.

Why do you want to renew the timing chain anyways? I advice only to change the chain if you here the chain loud when the engine is warmed up or when the timing chain tensioner is at it's endpoint. Otherwise just keep it as it is. My experience tells me before it's to late you will notice sounds or noise coming from the chain.

Your thread made me think of my first timing belt changing 10 years ago. It was on a Suzuki Swift 8valve engine (Geo Metro)..... The SAAB timing chain is a bit more complicated....

note about this picture: This engine died by a broken piston rod, flew right through the side of the engineblock, due to very bad maintenance causing Black Sludge. For instance, the mechanic that used to work on this car drilled holes in the oil pick-up to let the thicker oil pass......

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 SE (LPT), 2004 9-5 Aero
    I too am about to break my old chain so as to roll in a new one. However, I need to know how to correct misalignment of the camshaft(s) w.r.t. the crankshaft. I understand where the timing alignment markings are and how to read them. However all the procedures I've read basically say "verify that timing alignment is correct." None of them prescribe how to adjust a misalignment when the chain remains in the engine (to be rolled in), especially after the tensioner has been removed for inspection. In my case, I can get at most two complete crankshaft revolutions and no more. I fear that I may have possibly nicked a valve (but I'll do a compression test before pulling the head), though I'm hoping that I wasn't too forceful when I felt obstruction as i hand-turned the crankshaft. With so much slack in the old chain now (with varying amounts of cam backlash due to valve springs compression and release) I'm afraid to roll in the new chain though I'm committed at this point. I feel that -two- complete crankshaft revs - corresponding to four camshaft revs - would constitute a sensible go-forward indication. Advice appreciated.

Saab(s)

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    The WIS procedure with regard to "Replacement of timing chain (in car)" does actually prescribe how to adjust a (mis)alignment when the chain remains in the engine - however before the belt tension has be relieved. Note the procedure, by clicking the link in Wulf's post and then the Saab_9-5_timing_chain_replacement.pdf link in the SaaWorld post. So it may not apply / be much of an advice, given you've removed the tensioner.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 SE (LPT), 2004 9-5 Aero
    Mike - I did re-read the SC post you linked; it says "I was one link off of TDC on the crank sprocket...found that I needed to break the chain again. I broke the chain, loosened the exhaust cam, zip tied the chain to the top sprockets, then carefully took the chain on the exhaust side and added a bunch of slack to that side. "

I'm having difficulty understanding how he loosened the cam and added slack. Did he unbolt the camshaft sprocket and/or lift the chain from the surface of the sprocket to translate and reseat said chain by one or more teeth?

Saab(s)
    Look up Findings 41's posts on how to set the marks. Or write him and ask him to link you to his posts.