Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1991 900

1991 900 Turn signals inop, how do I access TS relay?

Turn signal stopped flashing. My Bentley manual doesn't give much info about the relay, saying only that it is under the instrument panel on the left side. The Manual tells how to remove the instrument panel up to '89 but not '91. Manual says 91's have a steering wheel airbag, but my Canadian export model doesn't seem to have one unless the printed circuit board I saw after prying up the rubber steering wheel hub cover also explodes into the chest of the driver. Do I have to remove the steering wheel to get the instrument panel off. Is the turn signal relay actually that hard to get to?

Saab(s)
    '83 900T 4dr, '87 900S 2dr, '88 900S 4dr, '91 900S 3dr, '93 900S 3dr. '86 900S 2dr in mid-demo.
    Assume you already double-checked the bulbs on whichever side is in question?

IIRC you only need to remove the knee bolster to get to the relays there. Not the wheel or panel.
    Pull the front of the center console first - 2 screws under accordion rubber in front of shifter and bolt behind ashtray.
    Remove the plastic piece under steering column / behind the wheel - plastic pin + 2 screws.
    You may need to remove the metal trim inside the doors / under the dash - 3 screws each.
    Bolster has bolt at center and one each side. Those are accessed from under the hood, inside the fenders. push the bolster down ~1" to unclip.

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterAlter View Post
    Turn signal stopped flashing. My Bentley manual doesn't give much info about the relay, saying only that it is under the instrument panel on the left side. The Manual tells how to remove the instrument panel up to '89 but not '91. Manual says 91's have a steering wheel airbag, but my Canadian export model doesn't seem to have one unless the printed circuit board I saw after prying up the rubber steering wheel hub cover also explodes into the chest of the driver. Do I have to remove the steering wheel to get the instrument panel off. Is the turn signal relay actually that hard to get to?
    You don't need to remove the knee pad. If you are double-jointed and know where to feel, you can replace these relays by just reaching up underneath the knee pad once you've unfastened and pulled down the plastic vent trunking. No it won't break.