Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    900t

New Buyer Now Searching

I started the new year out contemplating a new car. My needs were interior space, reliability, and gas mileage. I had a $25,000 budget. I originally considered a VW Passat TDI, 2014 Mazda6, 2014 Mazda CX-5, Toyota Venza, Honda Accord and Ford Fusion. I was never very picky about cars...perhaps because my previous cars were just so fulfilling. They were: 1983 Saab 900 Turbo, 1981 Volvo GLT Wagon, and a 1991 Toyota Cressida, which I recently sold with 225,000 miles on the clock. The Cressida in Super White with a Gray Leather interior looked like it had just rolled off the showroom floor...but it needed a new head gasket, and the car was one of the last without airbags. I sold it for $6200 after a minor bidding war.

I loved the new Passat, until I started reading up on it. I quickly learned that I didn't want the TDI, with it's turbo failures and DSG transmission. I didn't want the Accord because of the CVT and direct injection engine with inherent carbon deposits on the valves. Ditto with the Mazda6 and CX-5...although I loved both. The Ford Fusion drove well but reliability reports weren't the best.

Then I was visiting a friend in Vermont, who happened to have a 2002 Saab 9-5 wagon. Instantly I loved the heated seats, which also happened to be the most comfortable that I have ever sat in. Plus I loved the way it drove. Having previously owned a Saab 900 Turbo 2-Door and the Volvo 240 Wagon, I was well aware of what the Swedes could do. And the structural stability and safety are compelling in the 9-5.

I loved both cars and the never stranded me. With my Volvo and Saab, it was always about consistent maintenance and parts. I kept up on both and those cars rewarded me. So I started thinking about finding the best 2006-2009 Saab 9-5 that I could. That is my mission. Money isn't a motivating factor since I had originally budgeted $25,000 on a new car. So a pretty much excellent 06-09 9-5 is clearly possible for at least $10,000 below that new car budget.

I will update during my search. I would prefer a Combi, and probably an Aero. My color choices are Black or Gray. Interior choices are black first, then gray. I did look at a beautiful 2008 black Combi, but didn't want the white leather. It looked great, but it would be filthy within a month.

Also, any suggestions about which trim levels are preferable...or any other thing that would help? This is really an interesting search because I have many options. It's going to be a fun search. Also, I considered a used Volvo V or XC 70 or XC60 for a bit, but reliability and cost of maintenance scared me off. Plus I like the Saab better.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    I think the new Aero is way too stiff. My 08 Combi rides just like my 01 Awro. I love. Drove an 08 Aero and I think I broke a tooth. The parchment does not seem to get dirty although I don't really like it. If I saw an 05 Aero wagon I wanted I would buy it and sell my 08.
    good luck
    ps The 2010 and 2011's seem way too problem filled
    pps Why the f&$k would anyone want a black car

Saab(s)
    900t
    Thanks Mike for sharing your experiences. Living in NYC with our terrible roads, the last thing I want is a car with a too-stiff suspension. I will look at the non-Aero 9-5.

I loved the interior of the 2010-2011 9-5. I sat inside one at a Cadillac dealership, and it was so claustrophobic inside. Reminded me of the 2010+ Buick Lacrosse. Also, imagine trying to get parts? Yikes!

I will also take a look at the 05. I did want the 06-09 because I thought that they might have worked all of the bugs out. Thanks again!

Saab(s)
    Don't get me wrong, the 06+ are great cars, I just have a preference for the 1st generation models. If you don't do your own work I would stick with the newer units. I have been searching for a low miles 05 Aero Wagon for over a year and have not found one yet that meets my very narrow parameters. Wulf got one I would have bought, but even with 45000 some miles when he bought it in Florida he has had some issues. My 08 has 39000 and is called Pepper Green. I love it as it never shows dirt and is a very subtle and, I think, a mature color. It's older folks who compliment it at gas stations. Don't get anything with navigation, they are really a problem updating and expensive to replace if they break, although they look good inside the cabin. The 06+ also have the larger and much betterTD 04 Turbo that lasts forever. In the pr 06 units the Arc had the better turbo' as well. The Arc is designated by the capitol "T" next to the nameplate on the trunk or wagon lid.

Saab(s)
    If you really want to same money here is one for you. If you get it just get the oil changed to Mob I 0-40 W Euro blend and the PCV Carankcase Vent Mod # 6. Cheap and easy. Not even that far from you. I love my 01 Wagon.2000 9-5SE Wgn with 28K orig.miles! WoW! - SaabCentral Forums

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    The only difference between the regular and Aero models for 06-07 are the suspension, sport seats and dash panel. And for 08-09, even the regular model had the sport seats. I had an '06 Aero (Sport Package) and ride was a bit too rough and bumpy compared to the older Aero's as Mike mentioned. For every day driving, the regular suspension will be a much better choice.

Upgraded better quality leather was optional for 08-09 but difficult to find. I always like the lighter blue on the 07 anniversary package with a few other special touches like wheels. The ventilated seats are very nice to have as well.

With any 06-09 9-5, you'll get a reliable car. It may not be the latest and greatest compared to other cars from the same years but all the bugs have been worked out and it is easy to work on. Get a copy of the WIS and you'll have a factory workshop manual.

Saab(s)
    900t
    Thanks Wulf...I will definitely get one without the sports suspension. No need for a bone-jarring ride. One thing I loved in the 07-09 Aero was the quality of the leather seats.

In terms of the latest and the greatest, I just don't care. I have a 5.7" Samsung Galaxy Note 3 that can handle any navigation. I don't care about lane departure it backup cameras. My neck works fine...and if I wanted one, I can install an aftermarket for $200.

The 06-09 9-5 is a current car in my eyes. What I consider modern are safety features. While it doesn't have side curtain airbags, it does have the side bags which I actually prefer. But the structural integrity of the Saab is what I find most impressive.

When looking at current compact SUV's, they just didn't have the rear seat comfort...even the Lexus RX350, which I had considered, albeit a used one. The 9-5 has incredibly comfortable rear seats.

The Mazda CX-5 that I considered didn't even offer leather and heated seats until their $30,000 Grand Touring model.

Yes, an 08-09 9-5 Combi is older, but a pristine one will run $15,000 less and is much safer and more fun.