Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Several! An '86 900, a '96 900, an '05 9-5...

removing a steering wheel!

just found a 2004 9-3 at a local wrecking yard, and have begun removing some parts. Would want to take the CIM (since a key is also at hand) but have not discovered how to remove the steering wheel. Looking for a professional tip! rob

Mathieu Verberne
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5
    Remove the two little black caps on the side of the wheel. Behind those caps are two torx screws. Unscrew them, they won't come out, completely

Move the airbag towards you. Remove the wire to the airbag, followed by the wires from the steeringwheel buttons

Unscrew the central nut, but leave it on for the last bit.

Take the steeringwheel at the 3 and 9 position and wiggle it till it comes loose against the nut.

Unscrew the nut completely and remove the inner bracket.

Now you can remove the steeringwheel completely. Be aware of the wires of the contract ring behind the steeringwheel, they are fragile.

Maybe I'm forgetting something, I'm thinking it in the head, I'm not actually looking at one right now.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    hello mathieu!

yes.... that is the procedure for the 9-5, and "old generation" 9-3's. But on this '04 9-3 there are no side caps to remove. Instead, there are two elongated holes at the "front" of the steering wheel (near the cowl for the CIM)..... and it is in those two dark holes that some kind of fastening occurs.

At least I don't see any side holes to folow the same procedure as with the 9-5's. Any ideas?

Mathieu Verberne
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5
    I'm sorry, I didn't read your post careful enough I see. I no little to nothing about the 9-3 sportsedan /-estate /cabrio, so I can't help you further for now, I can take a look at the WIS later this morning, for it is half past midnight right now here.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    that would be much appreciated, mathieu! at your convenience..... rob

Mathieu Verberne
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5
    I realized that my WIS is in Dutch so under the pic you will find the translation. Also, it exists of two parts, first part is removing the airbag, second part is removing the steering wheel.

Next picture is the picture in the program for number 7

First here is a warning: Disconnect the plus from the car battery

1: put the carkey in the slot and turn to the LOCK position
    2: unlock the steering wheel adjustment and pull the steeeringwheel completely towards you
    3: turn the wheel 45 degrees to the left OR to the right
    4: bend the lockspring aside with a screwdriver (I'm not sure of my translation, if someone has a better translation please inform)
    5: turn the wheel 45 degrees to the opposite direction (regarding point 3)
    6: bend the lockspring aside with a screwdriver
    NOTE: be very carefull with the wiring behind the airbag! It's fragile
    7: pull the airbag towards you (see secobnd picture in the this post)
    8: remove the three connectors

For the steeringwheel itself:

1: remove the airbag (see above)
    2: put the steering wheels and wheels of the car in the straight forward position
    3: remove the central nut in the middle.

As in my first post in this thread I give you the advice, not to completely remove the nut, prior to pulling the steering wheel of (wiggle it of with your hands on the 3 รณ clock and 9 o clock positions), because you will end up with the steeringwheel breaking your nose or something.

Just laeve the nut at the and, pull of the steeringwheel, and after the steeringwheel is loose, remove the nut completely.

Succes, keep us informed.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    mathieu.... all's well that ends well! A strong pencil flashlight and a flat-bladed screwdriver were the only tools required to remove the steering wheel. And patience! Lying on your back (with your body mostly falling over the door sill) gives just enough view (while you hold the flashlight in one hand) to see the "silver" band that must be pried toward the centre of the steering wheel, and then "latched" on a built-in hook..... hopefully staying there long enough to turn the steering wheel 180 degrees to do same on other dark hole. Fourth try did the trick! When the steering wheel pad is finally in your hand (after making the one electrical disconnect near the volume control on the steering wheel), it's much clearer how the holding mechanism works!

Worth the effort though. (Now have a spare CIM in hand.)

Am grateful for the effort you took to post the WIS information. (Have found an online supplier of authentic Saab WIS cd's, and now mean to order both 9-5 and 9-3 versions. They should be a gold mine of info!)