Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Zachary Houseknecht
    Swedish Tank Operator zmhcreative's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    1988 Saab 900 SPG

Thumbs up Just saved! - 1988 Saab 900 SPG

Me and my dad picked this up today as a project car!

It's a 1998 Saab 900 SPG with....well you'll see the mileage....lol.....
    She's in dire need of some TLC, but this will be a project car for the next few months - probably 1 or more year to be honest.....

The paint/exterior is in bad shape overall - with the sides in decent shape....But mechanically she seems great. Runs through all the gears no problem, idles smooth, and only seems to have a 'few' electrical issues - I'll be asking about those in the coming weeks....

Interior (which I will take pictures of then) is in decent shape. The dash is cracked about 4 different ways (I had a 900 before that was exactly the same, and my 9000 has a nice one down the middle!) and its a weird blue carpet/black leather and dash combo (which I've been told was common).

So onto the pictures! You'll see a lot of her in the next few months I have a feeling!

-- My Fleet --
    1988 Saab 900 SPG - Just passed 270k
    1996 Saab 9000 CSE - About to hit 200k

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1988 SPG 1986 900 Turbo/ notch 1999 9-5 base
    Nice, I have the same car! 88 SPG's are great.

Zachary Houseknecht
    Saab(s)
    1988 Saab 900 SPG
    The 9k is down for the count (again) and I don't currently have the time to diagnose it so I've been daily driving the SPG. All I can say is wow. I only really drove it once or twice after we picked it up. And driving it back and forth to work (while it kinda hurts my soul) is a real joy. The handling, the grip, is just unbelievable - this coming from my 9000 with a sport suspension - Saab knew what they were doing with this one.

I've got plans to do general upkeep and maintenance before any real modifications start to occur. I don't plan on thrashing it - and with the current trans having (from the records I have) almost 75k miles on it - I'm going to be conservative for the time being.

That being said, here are my plans before Carlisle.

Oil change - this weekend - is currently 600 miles overdue.

Coolant flush/change - this weekend - just because.

Check/and or replace the ignition parts - rotor, cap, plugs - checking this weekend

Install a proper boost gauge - have one ordered - should be in by next week

Replace center console - currently ripped out and on passenger floor - since PO repaired the heater bypass valve

Either switch windows out to manual crank or replace motors - drivers side window gave up the other day (in the down position - FUN!) - checked all switches and relays - nothing wrong with them
    -- My Fleet --

Zachary Houseknecht
    Saab(s)
    1988 Saab 900 SPG
    Just installed these today!

-- My Fleet --

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I always enjoy reading these threads where an old Saab is given a second life (or perhaps 3rd or 4th life in this case ) and is in the hands of a dedicated owner.

Good luck, looking forward to regular updates and pictures.

Saab(s)
    900 t16s + 9000 griffin + 900i convertible
    900's always handled better than the later cars - no matter what model ... once you've replaced some ball joints and bushes ... and I suggest rear springs ... it will be more refined .. this assumes it's currently running older components. Never quite as refined as a 9000 though. Personally standard components make for a nicer overall feel but each to their own.

Best wishes Steve Lewis

Zachary Houseknecht
    Saab(s)
    1988 Saab 900 SPG
    Realized I haven't really updated this at all, other than when I added the fogs. So just a little update.

Just passed 275k. She is still running great to this day (searching idle at start, but not bad) , haven't done anything cosmetically yet - haven't had the extra cash or time.

Just replaced the heater core valve last night. I believe it was what was leaking onto the driver's side floor. Checked the area around the actual heater core and couldn't see any leaks, and I know the core itself is built really well, so assumed it wasn't that.

Also going to search for the culprit of my searching idle at start, test/replace the usual suspects (just picked up a Bentley guide) and while I have the bottom of the dash apart, replace those vacuum hoses.

Luckily have my workplace's shop to work in at night. Which will be extremely useful if anything breaks, I can actually fix it, and not have to deal with the 30 degree weather of PA during the winter.
    -- My Fleet --