Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Arc Convertible, 2008 9-3 2.0T
    Don't know if you have read through this thread:

http://saabworld.net/f146/saab-9-3-c...-system-26204/

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    The sensor in question, for the 6th bow up, is fitted on the 6th bow RH cylinder. wired to a grey connector by the soft top bag drive mechanism.

Keep in mind that this sequence of lowering the roof is as well monitored "timewise" and may halt by timeout. Recommended measure, quote: "Check that no objects hinder soft top operation and movement and that the soft top mechanism does not jam.". I suppose a change of hydraulic pressure can delay movement, thus causing timeout?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 conv
    Thanks AVguy for the link to info.
    After reading it I agree with 9-3 Aero, that the culprit seems to be the sensor (or elec connection) on the 6th bow RH cylinder.
    Because the system doesn't see the sensor change state the system times out, stops the pump & displays the warning message.
    The system assumes the cause is an obstruction.

are the sensors separate to the cylinders separate & so replaceable or would a whole new cylinder / sensor unit be required?

Saab(s)
    The Hall switch (sensor) is a (stand alone) replaceable piece part, separate from the cylinder. According to the Electronic Parts Catalogue is the Saab P/N 12 833 514 (or 12833514).

A fault code would, as you know, have been helpful. There are 79 each of them regarding the soft top. Two of four DTCs for the 6th bow are: B3687 58, 6th Bow Up, Position Sensor, Wrong Response and B3687 59, 6th Bow Up, Timeout.

Given I'm reading the WIS Soft top operation, detailed desciption, Step 1, unlocking and opening of sixth bow correctly, the supervision time for the 6th bow up sensor to change state to "On" is 4 - + 4 secs. The first 4 secs. for the RH & LH 6th bow locked switches to change state to "Off". This as programmed in the Soft Top Controller.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 conv
    Quote Originally Posted by 9-3 Aero View Post
    The Hall switch (sensor) is a (stand alone) replaceable piece part, separate from the cylinder. According to the Electronic Parts Catalogue is the Saab P/N 12 833 514 (or 12833514).

A fault code would, as you know, have been helpful. There are 79 each of them regarding the soft top. Two of four DTCs for the 6th bow are: B3687 58, 6th Bow Up, Position Sensor, Wrong Response and B3687 59, 6th Bow Up, Timeout.

Given I'm reading the WIS Soft top operation, detailed desciption, Step 1, unlocking and opening of sixth bow correctly, the supervision time for the 6th bow up sensor to change state to "On" is 4 - + 4 secs. The first 4 secs. for the RH & LH 6th bow locked switches to change state to "Off". This as programmed in the Soft Top Controller.
    thanks for that.
    i found the location of the cylinder & the sensor on my car this morning.
    it's difficult to get to - i can just about reach it.

any idea how the sensor fixes to the cylinder / how it's removed? i think (hope) it just clips in but it's attached very firmly. I tried to pull it off but couldn't. It's possible that it has to be slid on / off along what look like "runners" on the cylinder.
    if this is the case it'd mean removing the hose first which would be a p.i.a as oil would pour out & be difficult to stop given the awkward position of it

can i just confirm that the cylinders for the 6th bow has a sensor on just the RH one & not the lLH one? - from the parts list i have it appears to be just on the RH one.

What does DTC stand for in your last post?

thanks for all the info from all so far. much appreciated.

Edit - I just got my DVD with the Wis to work & it's just answered the above questions; the sensor should just unclip & it is only the RH side that has the sensor.
    Last edited by 40apple40; 12 March 2014 at 21:24.

Saab(s)
    Hi.

From the drawing and text in the WIS section Adjustment/Replacement, quote: Use a screwdriver to carefully loosen the position sensor from the hydraulic cylinder. To me it seems like there is no screw, more like to be pryed off the "rails" on the cylinder. The procedure for replacement of the switch involves no disconnection of hoses, but removal of the cylinder fastening pin and lifting out the cylinder. Then the question is: What is (to be) the exact position of the Hall switch? If the switch is not "seated", the position to be marked before removal from the cylinder.

Could the culprit be (slightly) misaligned sensor, if that is possible?

I suppose I could copy the removal/fit procedure with all the drawings, however that would have to be per e-mail (address PMed), as there are format challenges WIS/PM.

Yes; This Hall switch is on the RH cylinder only, as mentioned in the second last post.

DTC: Diagnostic Trouble Code - fault code. Sorry for that one.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 conv
    Quote Originally Posted by 9-3 Aero View Post
    Hi.

I suppose I could copy the removal/fit procedure with all the drawings, however that would have to be per e-mail (address PMed), as there are format challenges WIS/PM.
    thanks for the offer. i think i should now have the drawings now that i have my copy of the WIS installed & working on my pc.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 conv
    Firstly, thanks again to all who replied to my call for help - very much appreciated, especially 9-3 aeros' information.

The problem is now fixed.
    The fault was the hall (position) sensor on the 6th bow position sensor, Saab P/N 12 833 514. As suspected, the control unit would time out after a few seconds & it would presume the 6th bow was being obstructed, hence the fault message.

It was strange though that the faulty sensor would normally work if the engine wasn't running.

I got a new sensor from simply saab - an on-line used saab parts supplier in the UK.
    Cost £40 inc shipping & tax.
    The dealer near me charges £98 for the part plus about the same to fit - £200 in total, so i saved a fair amount of cash & time by doing the repair myself.
    It took me about 20 minutes to fit - it was quite a small space & a little fiddlly, otherwise it'd have been just a 5 minute job.
    FYI, The location of the sensor is fixed & it can't move out of position. It slots tightly into place on the cylinder.

atb, JC
    Last edited by 40apple40; 24 March 2014 at 11:23.

Saab(s)
    You're welcome.

Good to see you made it - with a fair amount of expenses I would say.

Cheers.

Saab(s)
    2005 9-3 2T Convertible
    Hi all... new to this site. I have an 05 2T and when I try to open the Convertible I get nothing.... That is, no dash warnings, no sounds, no relay clicks, nothing. I checked the Convertible fuse in the trunk and it's OK. Before I go digging, has anyone experienced this?