Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-3 2.0T

Alarm failure!! More fun....

So I got inspected, car passed. Random marker failure comes up every 5 or 6 times starting the car. Ignoring it. Then the alarm fires randomly. Where is the Siren on these 07 9-3's?? The haynes repair manual is fantastic for mechanical tutorials, but is REALLY lacking in specific component information and locations. I saw some videos and info on older 9-3's and 9-5's where the alarm siren/module was unplugged or removed with no impact on the car(other than the warning on the SID) So...can I just remove it and still drive? Can it really be that simple?? And where in the world did they hide the thing???

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    The siren is behind right rear panel trim and getting rid of the screaming sound can be as easy as following the owners manual instructions for telling the alarm to be silent.
    Better option than removing is to check all the window and door connectors as a full failure could keep you from starting the car.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-3 2.0T
    Well that doesn't sound like fun. So I read there are glass sensors for the windows, are there sensors on the door handles, or in the locking mechanisms themselves? Unhelpful repair book. You'd think something that claims to be based on a complete tear down and rebuild of multiple vehicles would be...well...complete.

Also it triggers the horn, and shows the SID message. There's no separate scream or other noise. ??

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Siren is a module and if you pull it when the alarm thinks it is set it screams all by itself and the car goes nowhere. Setting alarm to silent mode is supposed to turn off sound and pulling the transport fuse is supposed to disable the security system.

Saab security is so over engineered that it is a mystery to the world and still a bit of a mystery to me. Over engineered is the best and worst way to describe it. To work on the security system you need the WIS, factory diagnostic tool and Saab security access software running on a PC hooked up to the Tech 2. I've had some trouble with mine and found the WIS doesn't tell you anything about the "quirks" or "bugs" of system operation, so if you find yourself looking for a problem not mentioned in the WIS, read between the lines.

The over engineered security system steering wheel lock faulted me a half dozen times before I figured out the what and the why is only a guess. I still don't know if it is a system problem or an unmentioned feature.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-3 2.0T
    The owners manual doesn't go into anything with the alarm other than what sets it, how you arm and disarm it with the key. Fuses don't show which is which, though I've read some modules have the AC and Alarm on the same fuse. Guess I have little choice but to try a dealer and hope they don't want mountains of money for a quick programming check/change.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    The owners manual should tell you how to set the alarm to silent .
    The transport fuse is in the under hood electrical center, last big fuse on the firewall end, take that out of position 37 and stick it in position T
    If soaking down all the door and trunk latch modules with WD40 and checking all the plug connections doesn't fix the random alarm, you need the dealer tools or someone who has one.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-3 2.0T
    It doesn't. I've been through the repair manual, owners manual, PDF file of the owners manual. Cleaned the trunk and hood modules, looked at the doors, probably tinker with them tomorrow. Saab guy at the dealer was out due to medical reasons, should be in tomorrow.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-3 2.0T
    Ok so the awesome Fuso - Saab guys here charged me half the normal rate to diagnose the issue. They also noticed a tiny oil leak and coolant leak. Passenger rear door lock isn't communicating with the alarm system. $429 + tax for them to replace it. They were pretty cool, so I'm half tempted to let them.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by kzxp398 View Post
    Ok so the awesome Fuso - Saab guys here charged me half the normal rate to diagnose the issue. They also noticed a tiny oil leak and coolant leak. Passenger rear door lock isn't communicating with the alarm system. $429 + tax for them to replace it. They were pretty cool, so I'm half tempted to let them.
    If you're any kind of handy and anyone who can replace their own turbo probably is, pulling the door module and giving it a good clean and lubricate is my suggestion before replacing at $429 + tax. Unless the car had full time kids the right rear door is the least used of the 4 doors on most 4 door cars. Odds lean more towards dirty sticky switch contacts from lack of use than worn out or broken.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-3 2.0T
    PO has 2 kids, it was his primary vehicle until his son took it for a short time, then the first turbo failure. Got to do the brakes too, but I'll check out that lock soon before spending money. Doesn't look too difficult to do. If it needs to be replaced, do new ones have to be programmed to the car?