Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 conv

convertible issues

Saab 9-3 convertible 2005 vector 1.8t manual.

Hi,

I got issues with the convertible roof.
    normally it works with the engine not running (ignition obviously on) but not with the engine running. weird.

when trying to lower the roof I get the SID message saying to clear an obstruction & / or to go to the main dealer.

this always happens when the engine is running but only occasionally when it is not.
    there's nothing in the boot (trunk) blocking it.

checked the oil level - it's ok.
    disconnected the battery for a few minutes in case this reset anything - problem unchanged.

any ideas gratefully accepted.

Mathieu Verberne
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5
    Sorry, I thought of a problem with the micro switches, but I'm not sure yours have these because it's an 2005 car.....

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 conv
    i know the earlier models had probs with the micro switch on the left hand side. this is different though.
    i think it could be the boot (trunk) space sensor (micro switch?) but i can't find where it is.
    also it doesn't make sense why it works ok (mostly) when the engine is off.

Mathieu Verberne
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5
    Yes i concur, so that cannot be the reason.

Are there any fault codes present?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 conv
    I've not had the car hooked up to a tech II to check for fault codes.

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Hi.

As I know very little about CVs in general, and soft tops especially, I took a look at the WIS. And just by a coincidence did this appear, quote: "If the soft top storage is not at its lowest position, the control module will not operate the soft top but will send a bus message, after which the Saab information display (SID) will show: "Soft top blocked. Remove obstruction and try again", meanwhile an acoustic signal will be heard."

According to the WIS is the position sensor (hall sensor) mounted on the soft top drive hinge that informs the control module if the soft top storage is down or not.

So putting the engine on/off observation away for a while and follow your thought by looking for the cause not detecting the lowest position is something I'll look into tomorrow.

BTW: Why the heck would you want to open the top with the all time "high water from heaven" you've had in the past?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 conv
    The rain's stopped & it's beautiful & sunny now & forecast to be so for the next week. yaay.
    My WIS on DVD won't load so thanks for that.
    The acoustic signal (a beep)sounds whenever any fault code is displayed.

In the boot / trunk there's a large hinged flap across the whole width. If any luggage here pushes this flap up even a little then this is sensed (by micro switch or hall effect sensor?) then the roof will be stopped & "Soft top blocked. Remove obstruction and try again" displayed.

I don't know where this sensor is, what it looks like or how it detects though.

Saab(s)
    Check.

It's late here in the Arctic; I stumbled across another "Position sensor, soft top lowered", so I'll see. Locations will be given. Sleep tight.

Saab(s)
    The "Soft top blocked. Remove obstruction and try again." displayed message appears when the "Position sensor, soft top bag down" Hall switch is not operated, when the roof is to be lowered (opened). This sensor is a part of the soft top storage and detects the lowest position of the "tray". The switch is located on the soft top bag drive mechanism, to the left of the "wire reel"; follow wire to its black connector.

The switch is apparently triggered by an arm lowering towards its front (be aware I've never seen the boot of a CV ), i.e. when the storage is lowered. As the Hall switch works on the principle of an electrical field, the culprit of the issue could be the arm/metal not getting close enought to provide stability of switch operation. And of course the reliability of the switch being an electronic component.

The connection issue / engine running or not - is hard to see. Voltage level, charged / noncharged, could have been in question here. However that would be if the issue was gone most of the times when engine was running - i.e. higher voltage. Have you measured the volts charged or not?

If the engine was a diesel, one could think that a small increase of vibrations at idling could stir a weak electrical contact in the soft top system somewhere. Contact problems are known issues in general - and sometimes hard to find.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 conv
    Here's my theory so far:

The problem isn't the boot / trunk luggage sensor. I found it & it's on the right hand side, accessible once the rear section of roof lifts. It's a small proxister (hall sensor).
    If this was the problem the warning message would say "open boot, move goods away from top storage area".

The warning I get is"soft top obstructed. Clear obstacles & try again".
    I get this after the rear section of roof rises. I think the fault is the sensor that detects when this rear section is up.
    My theory is that because this sensor doesn't indicate the rear section is up, the system keeps trying to lift it further even though it's as far as it can go.
    The system pressure then rises above what is expected & so the system thinks there is an obstruction.

Now I need to find which of the cylinders that sensor is fitted into.