Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 saab 93

Traction Control Failure Message

Hello, I am new to the site and am having a difficult time with my 04' Saab 9-3. Well, my car was running flawlessly up until it didn't want to start. Now, when I place the Fob in the start position, I get the "Traction Control Failure" message and my fuel pump keeps kicking on and off. I have looked everywhere for a broken wire of any color and found a couple with cracked coating that I fixed. But, the car still does the same thing. No turning over when key is in the start position, gadges don't move, traction control failure message, fuel pump kicks on and off until I turn the car off. I checked the battery and it checks good. Car drove flawless and then all of the sudden, BAM! Not sure what else to do. A good ol' rag and a lighter will do the trick. Thanks for any and all help in advance. Here is a video I made of what is going on with it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u4Hv6Pzuw0

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    There was a thread with the same Traction Control Failure message a short while ago: http://saabworld.net/f8/traction-con...service-27557/

Do you have an OBD II reader and see if there are any codes? A Tech2 will provide more info but it may be costly to have your car towed to a Saab service center.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 saab 93
    Quote Originally Posted by wulf View Post
    There was a thread with the same Traction Control Failure message a short while ago: http://saabworld.net/f8/traction-con...service-27557/

Do you have an OBD II reader and see if there are any codes? A Tech2 will provide more info but it may be costly to have your car towed to a Saab service center.
    Well, just before it happened, I had a code for o2 sensor and crankshaft position sensor. But, right after the guy at autozone pull the codes, the car didn't want to crank and just seemed dead even though all the lights worked. I disconnected and hooked it back up and then it started right up and ran flawlessly. The codes didn't come back up. I returned home and did an oil change and then it did not want to crank again. So, I disconnet the battery and hook it back up. I turned the key and then the fuel pump kept kicking on and off continuously and the car still didn't want to crank I tested both the o2 sensors anyway and they both read .09 ohms. I am stumped....

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 saab 93
    I am still stumpped.... I don't understand why the fuel pump would keep kicking on and off continuously until I turn off the key of disconnect the battery. Nor, do I understand why the starter will not even kick on when I turn the key but will if I jump the relay.... Any help will be appreciated.

Mathieu Verberne
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5
    Did you check the tcs system,? I get why you stopped searching for that because of the fault codes reading, but the fault in the tcs is the thing the car told you first in fact.

How did they read the fault codes, and did they also try to read the fault codes from the abs/tcs/esp?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 saab 93
    It was at autozone and they just read it by ODB II and pulled the O2 sensor and Crank Shaft sensor code. Then, immediately after that the car didn't want to crank or do anything. I had to disconnect the battery and then it started and ran perfect. The codes never came back on. Get home and do an oil change and go to start it and nothing. So, I disconnect the battery again and it didn't work then the fuel pump kept kicking on and off continuously. Not sure what causes that.... Maybe ECU? I have no idea....

Mathieu Verberne
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5
    When reading OBD codes you can choose what to read, the choices are: trionic7, body, transmission and ABS. If he only read Trionic7 codes..... Maybe he missed ts ABS codes, and when you disconnected the battery, the code was gone.
    After your drive home, the code was back
    Last edited by Thieuke; 13 March 2014 at 06:54.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 saab 93
    I understand that. I may be wrong, I mean I don't know much about all of this. But, wouldn't the ABS light be on for there to be an ABS code? I never had an ABS light come on... Just the messages on the SID. Would it be a good idea if I went and bought a reader or rented one to see if I could retrieve anything?

Mathieu Verberne
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5
    The traction control system is part of the ABS system, for it uses the same sensors to measure rpm differences in the different wheels. That's why the obd code for the tcs system is stored under the ABS system.

Body stores codes for: sid, miu, dice, twice, climate control, airbag etc etc.

Transmission obviously stores codes for an automatic transmission.

I suggest that you order a op-com clone. Works like a charm, costs close to nothing, and you can read and reset codes, even for the airbags.....

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 saab 93
    Thank you for all the help Thieuke. I am in search of an op-com device.. Just hope I can find one sold in US so I don't have to wait 2 weeks to get it lol. Although, it is rather cheap. I do hope that it fixes my issue and is not something too costly. It sucks because I have only had this car for about a month in great running condition then Bam! no running at all...