Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 arc wagon

Question intermittent no start

Looking for some advice and experiences on this intermittent problem. Occasionally, my 2005 9-5 will not start. Everything lights up normally and I hear a click but it doesn't turn over or it turns for a second and stops. No check engine light and no codes. Battery is good. It happens most often after a short stop at the store but also first thing in the morning when cold or when hot. I did some research on this and other SAAB sites and the conclusion was that it is most likely the NSS (neutral safety switch). At that point when the problem occurred, I would cycle the gearshift form park to neutral and back and it would usually start. I thought I diagnosed the problem. After replacing the NSS (used on ebay for $100 - but I swear it was brand new as there were no marks on the case from prior service). Same problem. I either got a bad part or there is something else going on. I do not think it is the Crankshaft Sensor as that problem usually appears as continuous cranking with no start. It is almost as though I am releasing the key switch before it starts. With that said, I am suspecting the electrical portion of the key switch. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does this sound like typical symptoms? Looks like a nightmare to remove and replace it. Is the starter or the starter relay a weak point?

Kenny
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 SAAB 9-5 Aero MT
    Sound like the Starter ---- at first I was thinking it was the immobilizer. But clicking when turning the key means the starter solenoid||||

Or Bad Ground cable from the starter.

check these and come back to me
    SAAB
    Keep Calm my friends
    and Apply BOOST

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 arc wagon
    I was under the car today and inspected the connection at the starter. They did not look corroded or loose. I removed them, sprayed contact cleaner and re-tightened. Problem is still present. Next I was going to investigate the key switch. Any words of advice?

Saab(s)
    '69 96, '09 9-5 Aero, '07 9-5 Sportcombi
    I had a '00 9-5 that began to exhibit exactly what you describe, but without the click. It is entirely at random, and the "nothing" period can last from a minute to a half-hour...usually just a few moments, though. I haven't a clue what caused it for me and the friend I gave the car to (trust me, he was aware of the problem and the car's free-ness trumped all). Now I have an '09 Aero to bookend with my '69 96, so I'm still really interested to see what your experience is. I'm sorry I have nothing concrete to contribute to the conversation...

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 arc wagon
    Sorry for the lack of response to this post. I injured my knee and had to undergo surgery. All is healing well. I haven't been able to work on the problem but might try to this weekend if the knee and the weather cooperate. Does anyone have or know where an electrical diagram is posted? I am an electronic engineer and would be more than happy to document the troubleshooting process for the next guy. I know electrical problems can be intimidating. the vehicle is a 2005 9-5 arc wagon. Need the schematic of the starter circuit.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 arc wagon
    I am optimistic that I have resolved the problem. It has been 3 days without any issues. The last thing I did was to take apart the center console and access the ignition key switch. I removed the entire assembly, then separated the electrical portion form the mechanical portion. opened up the electrical portion, cleaned the contacts and put it back together. Name:  saab1.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  39.6 KBName:  saab2.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  40.6 KB